Gravely ZT2350 (2007) vs 2548xl (2008) advice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by chrisallenv61, Mar 13, 2008.

1. chrisallenv61

chrisallenv61 LawnSite Member

I've got two neighbors that are both ready to buy 2007 Gravely ZT2350's. We all went together to buy three of the same mower and I sat on a 2008 2548xl and was impressed by that machine. Is it worth the $1000 difference to get the XL??? I went to another dealer today to ask their opinion and was basically told to buy a Scag and not to even look at the Gravely. That dealer sells both. I'm not interested in spending $5000+ for a mower no matter if it is better. I'm looking in the $4000 range. I've got 1 acre and it's fairly flat. I have a septic mound in the backyard and a drainage ditch on one side of the yard. Our house was finished being built in April of 2006 and we planted the grass in September 2006 and I mowed all of 2007 with a Toro Wheelhorse 10-30 rear engine rider. I had to mow the lawn twice every time (once in two different directions, perpendicular to each other) in order for it to look nice. What should I buy??? Thanks in advance for your advice!!!
  2. kwagner

kwagner LawnSite Member

im in the same boat as you are. I have been looking at the gravely 2044 XL and the hustler mini fasttrak 17 42. I posted everything about the two in another post. They are both just under $4000. I know the hustler is a very good machine, but im trying to find out if the gravely is comparable because it has several more options to it.
  3. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

I am also in the same boat. I have yet to pull the trigger on either the Hustler or Gravely. The things that I have noticed between the regular zt and the zt/xl are the fab deck, armrest, and hood cover. With that said, only you can determine whether it is justifyable. If you and your neighbor's are buying a total of three mowers, then I would try and bargain the price down. I really like the Gravely XL models. As far as Hustler vs Gravely, I think they are both great machines. I personally take great care of all my tools and equipment. So I think what ever mower I decide to purchase will perform for a long period of time. Dealer service should also be part of your decision. My Hustler and Gravely dealers are helpful and supportive, which makes my decision harder. The more reading I do on these mowers, the more aggravated I get. I may just use my Honda walk behind another year. Anyway, I don't have a ztr (yet), but I hope my research can help you guys.

4. kwagner

kwagner LawnSite Member

Thats exactly my problem...I just told my wife that last night...things are supposed to get easier the more research we do.
  5. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Listen to your dealer and get the Scag, I wanted the Freedom Z but it was too much mower for what I needed. The Hustler Mini fastrak is probably the best 1 acre Z out there. I am telling you for 1 acre, it is the machine and it is affordable..