1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely ZTR's. Why aren't they more popular?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Dec 25, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at gravely's website and wow that looks like a great machine (pm260)for a great price. Fast, innovative features etc. I've never seen anyone actually using one I'm a little lost. I don't even have a dealer in my area. What am I missing ?
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Gravely makes nice machines no doubt.
    Their 100 series is nice for the guys who like compacts also.

The 260Z is even more impressive in person. It's one of those mowers that looks a lot bigger than it actually is. The 260Z is my wife's pick.
  3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I only know of one LCO that has gravley. He seems to like it. Exmark, Bobcat, and Scag are the biggies around here. We do have a Lesco near by , so I am waiting to see if anyone starts to venture into their machinery. I am not even sure of where the nearest gravley dealer is located. BTW/ How are they as far as price goes?
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I've never seen a Gravely machine around here and thats because there's no dealers close by.
  5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

There are several dealers in this area, and still only a handfull of them in use. The guys that I have spoken too, say they have many break down and cut quality issues.
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I have begun to see more gravely's being used down here. I think they make a great machine especially for the price. Cut quality is excellent IMO and they do have some nice features.
  7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 260z. I bought it this year and really like the machine except for one problem with the hydraulic system in ALL 200 series mowers produced within the past 12+ months. This problem compromises the safety of the machine in my opinion. Gravely is aware of this problem but has not yet corrected the issue.

Today being Christmas I am not able to write the detailed story right now but I will soon.

If you have any questions you can call the Gravely rep directly
    Tim Peter is supposed head of consumer relations 920-756-2141.

I will try and get Dan Ariens' direct number and provide that to anyone else that is having this problem.

Sorry, but I will give more information on my problems in this thread later.
  8. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The biggest problem with Gravely in our area are the dealers.

The local Gravely dealers don't understand the commercial market like they should. They sell mostly to homowners...

Decent machines from what I have seen but they do have a poor quality of cut.

Just my 2 cents.....

Merry Christmas!
  9. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

my neighbor right next door to me owns a lawn care co. he has 2 gravely ztr's
    not sure what size but he picked up a large account, the other lco used to use 2 turf tigers and the place looked great now my neighbor cuts it with the gravely's and it does not look as good i told him whats up with that he said we cut the same pattern as the last guy he said its these gravely's there nice machines but they cut like crap.
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Amen to that. Same thing here. I have to drive forever to get to decent service.

Your grass type / conditions must be majorly different than mine. I have never had any issue with cut quality. Of course I did take the time to check deck pitch and the like. Dealers (from any manufacturer) assume the factory did it correctly, yeah right.