Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ken0564, Jun 11, 2006.

1. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

any of you folks know anything about the residential Gravely Z??

don't know the specific model, but do know its a 34" with a 15hp Kohler.

have a neighbor looking at one, he wants for personal use, will be cutting under 3/4ths acre each week and that's it.

dealer support is excellent, its the same exmark dealer i use so i know this.

any info appreciated. Ken.
  2. Jordan River

Jordan River LawnSite Member

The 34Z rider has a fixed deck. It probably will do ok unless the lawn isn't smooth. I made the mistake of purchasing a Pro1536H WB with a fixed deck. I would say 95% of my customer's do not have smooth lawns. But, for a homeowner, that mower would be ok. I will only buy floating decks in future!!
  3. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

failed to mention price out the door will be $2725.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

operator experience will change how the machine works on the terrain. I have 2 - 50" gravely wb's (fixed decks) and I can negotiate most any terrain. I also have a 260Z too.

Find out what model that Gravely is and do some research on here or the WWW. Don't buy blind.
  5. heyfishguy

heyfishguy LawnSite Member

I just bought that unit 1 month ago and ended up returning it this past saturday. I needed to use it with the bagger kit except it always clogged every 30 seconds or so witch made it useless. Also was horrible if the grass was wet, clumps everywhere. I only used it a few times and usually would have to re- mow the yard again with my commercial honda 21". It was very frusterating. Also the fixed deck was kinda anoying as if there are dips in the yard the deck misses cutting them even. For a homeowner it might be ok if only used when dry, and also used the powered grass assit pump on the bagger kit if bagging. But then if you need it to be 34" its kind of a waste since the bagger and pump add like another 12" or so to the width.
  6. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the 32" with the J pin adjustments and the loop steering. They are now making them again. You will not notice any time differences between the two.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The machine he is looking at is one of the Gravely homeowner machines. It is a little light duty machine, not a commercial unit.
    It is called a Mini ZT 1534. does a great job for homeowners with about an acre to mow.