1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Laidback03, May 16, 2007.

1. Laidback03

Laidback03 LawnSite Member

how do gravely's compare to the strong market in ztr mowers? I am looking to get either a 44 or 48 what do you guys recommend?:waving:
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

They are fantastic mowers. They cut great in all conditions and the machines are built very good. Cant really go wrong with one.
  3. scottp

scottp LawnSite Member

I'm running a 260Z and love it. Great mower, runs stong with the 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Last season i bought a 48" walk behind. after going with the Solid high lift , it cut better then the triton. 5.4" deep deck:weightlifter:
  5. Espacesverts

Espacesverts LawnSite Member

I have a 48 and a 52. The 52 with 23 hp is unbeliveable. The 48 with 21hp is good in about 75% of the time but in wet grass it's clump a lot. So if you want a 48 go with the 21 for sure not the 19. Overall they are great machines.
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Have a Gravely 144z.

Sturdy, powerful engine, lots of antiscalps, bigger front tires than most, grippy rear tires and weight distribution, less tearing in turns, higher ground clearance means no hanging up on trailer or ditches, decent cut when discharging/bagging, lower initial cost feature for feature than Exmarks I've had. 44" deck fits though a LOT of gates my 48" won't. Another 44" advantage is not worrying as much about trim side gouging in certain situations. You can drive over some pretty odd spots w/o worries of taking out any turf. Turns faster than Exmark hp's w/o tearing turf, I think due to more rearward weight bias.

Doesn't vac and mulch leaves like Exmark, center antiscalps gouge turf when mowing at 1.75" or less, one setting seems too high, the other too low (working on a fix), higher center of gravity and seating position means it's a little less confidence inspiring on hills, control handle design is not as good for clearing low limbs, emergency brake is weak and has no system to prevent mower moving if you nudge a handle, foot operated-only deck height adjuster hard to get to without knee hitting control handles, prefer one with hand operation also, seat less padded, resale probably not as good. Little trim side. Rear weight bias makes it a little scary if you go up something steep too fast. No really good OCDC options custom fit for this model. And if you put one on you may lose the clearance needed for those gates.