Gravely

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Allen's LS, May 29, 2008.

1. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

OK, Here goes. I have pretty much narrowed it down to Gravely walk behind. I was looking at the Pro 1536H. Previously I was thinking about a floating deck, but the dealer says that I should go with a fixed deck. He states that there is more to go wrong with a floating deck and it costs more to fix than a fixed deck. Is this true? Does a fixed deck cut as good as a floating deck? What about scalping? Also is $4500 aprox. a good price for this particular unit? I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I need to know before I hand over that kind of cash.

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

How much does a Pro Stance cost? Aren't they close to that price?

3. Allen's LS

Bump......

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Two things I've noticed here. But first, let me say the only walk-behind I've ever owned was a Quick36 Samurai.

To me (in my "not too smart" opinion), it sounds like the dealer has a fixed deck he needs to get rid of. I didn't know floating decks were even prone to problems.

Like tb said, have you looked at the Pro-Stance? Since switching to Gravely, I've considered getting one as well.

Somebody more knowledgeable than me please chime in.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I got Quoted 4800 for a Fixed deck 48" hydro. this was in Massachusetts. I think the 36" is a hard to adjust fixed deck??? If you need to change your height often it could be a problem. see if its the 4 pin type fixed deck. As for more problems??? does the dealer have the fixed one on the floor???? find out how much more for the Floating deck then decide.

Let us know.

6. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what it sounds like to me. But the Gravely w/b s are nice, I use one regularly at my job. Get a Velke if you can though.

7. Allen's LS

I have talked with a few other LCO's in my are and they say to get the floating deck... I think you guys are right about the dealer wanting to get rid of a fixed deck on the floor...

8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking about a stand on myself but I think Im gonna go with a WB and Proslide because it would be more versatile. I could mow inclines and odd places easier with a WB I think. Im trying to figure out if Hydro is worth the cost. I think floating is the way to go. MR Gamba, could you please comment? THX

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hydro all the way.The gravely hydro has 18" rear tires and can go up to 8.5 Mph:cool2:

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Wooo wooo wooo hold on a minute. Your looking at a 36" machine correct? If thats correct there is NO need in the world for a floating deck plain and simple. Its so narrow there is no worry about scalping with a 36" machine. Before we started useing ZTR's back in the late 90's we ran a 52", 50" and 2 36" WB's and all of them were fixed decks and belt driven. Even with the bigger decks we never had any issues with scalping and we also never had any issues with the belt drives and every one of these machines had a velky on them.

People have gone over board with the floating deck and hydro drive walk behinds in my oppinion. It simply not needed. Now I can see somebody wanting the hydro if your looking for a little extra speed but other than that there is no need for hydro.