Gravely

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gomow, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Gomow

Gomow LawnSite Member

I have a chance to buy a Gravely Pro 50 with 16 Horse koehler
    for a pretty good price. don't know how old it is but it has the single wheel in back. A friend has a small engine repair shop here and has told me we can rebuild the engine (if neccesary) for the cost of parts. How fast are these mowers? I've got 2-3 yards that are 2-4 acres and my 36" Snapper WB is really getting tired! Any help would be appreciated.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The only advantage the Gravely would have over the Snapper would be the extra 14 inches of cut. They should both go about the same speed, around 5 mph. If your Gravely has a stamped 50 inch deck you won't be able to go 5 mph if the grass is tall, thick or wet.

3. Gomow

Gomow LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. It would be nice to be able to sit for awhile anyway! I really need to get something a little larger than a 36 but finances prohibit me from buying something new. Hopefully this will fit my needs for awhile.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

the gravley pro is very popular in my area but I have never used one.

most that I have seen go with the bigger motor. mostly the kohler 25, so the 16 might be a little weak.

I had the chance to buy one for 3K last year that looked like new and I let it pass. spouse even told me that if I didn't buy it I'd be sorry.

I'm not sure I'm sorry but since she was OK with it I shoudda considered it.

GEO

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I like the mower but as Richard pointed out with the stamped deck you really don't get a very good cut with tall wet grass unless you slow down considerably. The engine is pretty nice but might be a little small if you are going to be using it for alot to tall grass mowing. Riding is much nicer then walking! Do you have a dealer nearby for parts?

6. Gomow

Gomow LawnSite Member

Yea, I have a Gravely dealer about 3 miles from home. Still haven't decided if I'm gonna get this one or not. I may hold out until I can find a good used ztr. I'm very part time (7-8 accounts now) and work shift work (12 hr days / nights --4 days one week 3 the next) so I have a good bit of time off. I'm trying to grow the business slowly. I don't want to have to hire someone to help and try to keep them busy too. I think with a bigger mower I can handle 15-20 and not have to work every day I'm off from my regular job! You know what they say "All work and no play"
    Thanks for the info guys, I've learned a lot here the last couple of months.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Nice and slow is a great approach to take. Demo as many machines as you can on your existing accounts, keep reading and do as much research as possible. You never want to replace a piece of equipment because it just doesn't do what you need it to.

I wish you the best of luck!