Gravely

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcs, Jan 24, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Has anyone used a Gravely 260Z? How does it cut. Are these good machines?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I got to use one for a few days, and it wasn't a bad mower at all. For the money, it is a pretty good buy. It cuts aLOT better than the Promaster 300 rider (I have one) and of course, it's alot faster too. The only thing that needs to be changed on this machine, and I talked to a factory rep who agreed, is the anti-scalp casters. The swiveling casters that they use on the mowers have a tendency to lose their pins and go under the deck. Well, we all know what happens then, and they CAN'T be reused. This has been a common problem no matter what your dealer may tell you. So that's a simple fix. I almost bought that machine, but I opted for the Exmark EPS instead.

3. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I've used a 260z for the last 2 years..When I first got the mower, I hated it because it had the 50 in. deck..The 50 in. deck didn't have wheels on the front and it scalped like crazy..I complained and they changed my deck to a 60 in. deck and I just love it..It's fast, dependable, and gives a good cut..I really like the hydraulic deck..Just be sure to get the 60 or 72 in. deck..I'm probably going to trade mine in on a new one this season..Also, if u mow alot of hills, you'll probably need to put fluid in or weights on the tires...Good luck..Derrick

4. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

How fast do these machines cut? And what's the price?

5. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

The top speed on this mower is 9 mph. and gives an excellent cut...With the 25 hp. eng. it doesn't bog down..Derrick

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Never used one but are starting to see them in town now. I looked at there site and they do seem to be a ok machine. Marks Mowing Service

7. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

Gravely makes the Woods mowers. I was given a Woods for a loaner when my carb was being repaired on my JD. The machine was fast and mowed well enough. I had a lot of trouble with losing traction on small inclines (which verifies cleancut's comment about wheel weights). The handles were extremely stiff also which made your elbows hurt after a full day of mowing. This problem may have been corrected on the newer Gravelys but probably deserves some investigation. Good Luck

Matt

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's interesting that Gravely makes the Woods ZTR's! I had no idea! Man, it's great to something new!

9. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

That is what my local Gravely dealer told me. The 260Z was an exact replica of the Woods that I had as a loaner.

Matt

10. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

I use all gravely mowers and they are great mowers. Walk behinds and zero turns. I really like the 250 z with a 50 inch deck.