1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gravely's new deep deck 21" mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by GMLC, Dec 18, 2012.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

2. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like a solid unit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be willing to bet that it would hold up to commercial use !!

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That looks like a really nice mower. However, at 2:32 it shows the belt running from the crank to the trans and it is running underneath the deck just above the blade. Unless that was just added to show the belt's path for some reason which that wasn't really necessary at that point in the video, that belt is not going to last very well, and I can see it causing slippage in wet grass and possible trans problems down the road. Otherwise, a very nice looking machine that I would think should hold up pretty well to commercial use.

5. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

That is the deck from the old blade runner that was introduced about 8-9 years ago. The deck was about the only thing good on the blade runner. This is definatly a homeowner machine. Not even a high end homeowner. I would put it in there with the HRR series Hondas.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

worthless one speed trans. and dont tell me its vara speed. cause its not

7. Exmarkboy13

Exmarkboy13 LawnSite Senior Member

i deffinately wont hold up for me. Looks pretty flimsy if you ask me.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When they put those plastic wheels on it I think cheap cheap. And the bag removal for dumping is kinda bad. And has anybody any luck with those variable speed drives? Not me the lawnboy we got is bad.

9. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

All my thoughts as well. Gravely doesnt claim its commercial quality but I know a lot, if not most here dont use commercial 21's. Gravely does offer the full commercial Pro 21 XD.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I was as surprised as you when I saw the belt underneath the deck with apparently no guard of any kind to protect it. It seems to me that wet grass could cause the belt to slip, and even worse, what would happen when you ran over (even small) sticks? Seems like that could cause the belt to be "thrown" on a regular basis.

I also read a post mentioning the plastic wheels, do you think they would last a reasonable time?

I know Gravely has been credited for listening to LCO's in the past, I wonder if they will now? Even though it's only "homeowner" quality, it would be interesting to find out what LCO's would tell Gravely to change about this mower.