1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by GMLC, May 4, 2013.

1. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't understand why dealers can't set-up a deck properly? Our new Dixie Chopper was horribly set up incorrectly as was the deck on an Exmark Lazer I demoed last year.
  2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I always double check all my decks when I buy new. More often than not I make adjustments. The XF is really easy to adjust. I always wondered why your 460 didnt cut like my 452 in wet conditions. I bet it is off.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I bet it is off also. The dealer told me when I picked it up they set the deck pitch etc etc when they uncrate the mowers so I never bothered to check. The odd thing is after adjusting my 160 the other year to a 1/4" pitch I noticed I got more blow out the front of the deck than before. It got really bad when I tried the G6 blades. To me it looks like my 460 deck is actually pitched backward if you look at it from the side. I should check it before I trade it in so I know if its actually correct or not.

4. GMLC

Somewhere in this thread is how both my decks have been set up. Gravely's manufacturing must be good because both decks were set up just about the same. This should get you in the ballpark.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

That really is a nice looking machine!
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe my bias against Gravely right now is two fold

1) What I see running out here is the old Gravely's from 5+ years ago that cut like dung. Only lawn schmucks run them it seems like
    2) I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that Gravely has improved that much since then. Are these new machines that much better than those older ones?

Perhaps I just need to demo one and the bias goes away??
  7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I can't answer that for you other than to say that I run a 2012 Z950 if you recall from one of your other threads, but last year I demo'd the new Gravely Pro-Stance with the original X Factor deck. All I can say is that a 460 of some sort will be my next mower unless something really major happens to change my mind on that. They make an excellent machine that cuts beautifully. Gravely treats people the way all companies should, and that goes triple for Deere. I have a shop full of JD machinery, and have run them for a long time- longer than many of the younger guys here have been alive even, but I am done with buying anymore new stuff from them I believe. Gravely's attention to detail, their earnest interest in what their customers say about improvements etc have convinced me that they are where I need to spend my hard earned cash in the future, and you have no idea how big a statement that is coming from me.
  8. GMLC

It was hard for me at first too. I was a 15 year Scag veteran when I made the switch. Gravely is huge in certain parts of the country and almost unknown in others(like it was here in NH). In 5 years I would say Gravely takes a big chunk of the pie everywhere. The quality and performance are top notch and the customer service and support are second to none. Here is a link to a thread that started it all for me. I know its long but it has a ton of pics and is very detailed.

Posted via Mobile Device
  9. GMLC

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Your right the pre xfactor decks were nothing to write home about. Solid machines but before the xfactor deck came out the cut quality was average at best. We had a pro-50 walkbehind my dad bought new a longggg time ago. In dry conditions it did good but in damp conditions it sucked. Finally sold that mower with like 3200 hours on it and it was still going all be it in rough shape (engine was tired and it needed stripped down and cleaned up and painted).