Gravelys Pro steer???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John Gamba, Jul 6, 2006.

1. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Does anybody have this option on there Hydro walk?????Do you like it and how is it on hills:waving:

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have the prosteer on my hydro 36" walk-behind. I don't have anythinig bad to say. The controls are ergonomic and comfortable.

I've put 100's of hours on Standers which are relatively the same controls. I have never used ESC or a T-bar or anything else like it to compare, but I know it's WAY better than pistol grips.

3. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

They are way better than pistol grips. I really liked the way the Pro Steer controls work.

4. John Gamba

from ct

Thank You :waving: Anybody else:)

5. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Prosteer's are horrible on hills.
    When you go down a hill there is nothing to hold yourself back with.
    There is an adjustable bar to set max forward speed that you can push against, but it will always be too fast for going down a hill if it is set for correct flat-ground speed. It's not realistic to change the bar for every hill, and the release lever for that bar would stab me in the leg sometimes.
    If you need to go around a tree or something while going down a hill it gets even more difficult.
    Also, with the Prosteer, you can not "muscle" the wb at all - you cant lift the front, you cant push side-to-side or any of the other things you can do with a pistol machine.

My Prosteer seemed ok if I actually walked behind it, but it was intolerable with a velky and hills. I traded mine off for a pistol Gravely after 40 or so hours... I had enough.

6. John Gamba

from ct

By looking at it in pics only i can see your point. Not everything works for everbody.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You can easily lift the front off the ground while operating the machine. There are a set of "Grips" below the handles that let you control speed and movement while pushing down to lift the front.

8. John Gamba

from ct

Does anybody have a close up pic of the pro-steer. I'm hoping like the pic i have of the ECS.

9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure if these are the angles you want, but they are the best pics I have of mine that were already on my computer...:)

00000002.jpg

00000001.jpg

10. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking about the curved bar that goes around the rear of the control panel? If so, yea, you can get the front up a bit with that and one hand, but your still having to control the machine with one hand on two control levers... and you still cant get any leverage on it for other "maneuvers".

Oh... also, you cant pull up on the controls very well to keep the front end down when climbing a steep hill.

The Prosteer, although very cool in theory, isn't worth a hoot on a hill and anyone who has used one on a hill knows it, and if they don't know it they need to try the same model with pistols - they wont go back to the Prosteer.

The difference between a Prosteer and a pistol set-up is astounding when your doing the kind of work that a wb is intended for, hills, rough areas, etc.

Backing one up while on a velky is nightmarish also. I tried over and over and over to back it off the trailer but its just plain ornery in reverse.
    I found backing off the trailer with a velky and pistols to be a controllable simple event.

I'm sorry if I offend, but I cant say enough bad about the Prosteer. As far as I'm concerned you might as well go with a Z if your considering the Prosteer - you'll have better control. I was ready to sell mine in the paper taking a huge hit because of its control issues, but Gravely is a fantastic company who came through for me and made a swap possible.