Graverly Pro 150

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KV, Mar 19, 2002.

1. KV

KV LawnSite Member

Pro 150 problems

I bought a graverly pro 150 w/b last year and new to business.I asked my equiptment store about a sulky and he said sure for this price etc. So got it and on my way. Well about a month later I notice the hills I use to go right up, the mower stops half way and will not go up. So I take it back w/ complaint and he says oh belts. Then another time oh brakes. Another oh housing bracket hub. Well fianlly I am getting miffed. So i say man it seems like the transmission is not working right. So he looks at it and he says no its ok. Well time passes on and numerous trips back still not fixed. So i kind of feel screwed and I also heard that the Pro 150- 50" cut is not suppost to have a sulky on it. Is this true and is this the reason I continue to have a problem? I weigh only 150 lbs. and to me the transmission seems bad. And as the season rushes upon us I need some ammo to get it fixed or sue and get one that works? Sorry so long but please help!!

KV
    :angry:

2. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, what size motor is on the Gravely?? That is a mighty big mower (50" deck) if the mower has a 14 hp motor on it . The problem sounds like to me that it is the transmission. those small
    trans are not designed to pull you and the mower on a sulky, jungle wheels etc. it is not good for a trans. I realize that you are new to biz but you may want to pass that mower on to someone else and invest in a hydro.
    whatever the problem, I wish you luck on getting it fixed.

3. KV

KV LawnSite Member

thank you for the info. i wish i could have trusted my dealer a little more with the follow up repair work.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That particular Peerless tranny usually makes a clicking sound when it's going bad. I know, I put 2 into my Pro 150 in 3 years. Do these things and tell us which one it is doing or not doing.

1: When the mower stops going look down at the jackshafts (the shaft coming out of the side of the tranny) and see if they are turning.

2: If they are not turning try bumping the shift lever back and forth a tiny bit and see if the mower goes.

3: If it still doesn't go try adjusting the engine to tranny belt.

4: If they are turning try adjusting the wheel belts.

Check these things and tell us what it's doing.

5. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

I personally have two wbs and i have jungle wheels for both.
    48" and 44" I use the wheels sometimes. depending upon the type of grass and the yard. both are belt drive and have new trans. I was told that info about the big decks by my dealer after he put on the new trans. Just bought a 48' walker w/ghs hope it pays for itself.

Terry
    MOW -N- GROW Lawn Service & Landscaping

6. KV

KV LawnSite Member

I did have a problem with the shaft coming out last year and he jerry rigged it and told me that it was some peice had just come out. I am new to the business and with that inexperience comes stupidity. Because if that was a car and I had this much trouble it would have been fixed or I would of had a new one. So I kept believing that his fix would solve the problem. But with spring coming I want to get it fixed so I don't have so much down time becuase I use the mower all the time.

Thanks again for the info1

KV