1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gray Non-Marking Turf Tread Tires?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fescue Farmer, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

Does anybody know if any tire company is producing rear mower turf tread tires made out of a gray non-marking compound?

When I mow I like to come off of the turf onto driveways and sidewalks to turn around (I like the pattern effect). But leaving tire marks, especially on new concrete, is the negative.

Can anybody help?

2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

you know, you should look up that thread on drinking beer on the job....Might make your stripes straigher.

LOL :p
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

why dont you just make a three point turn so you dont make marks on the concrete?
  4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see any marks on the concrete.
  5. Fescue Farmer

Even by making a gentle three-point turn, when I am on relatively new concrete, my rear tires (whether they are turf type or bar-type v-tread) always seem to leave tracks. Now I can diminish how much of a mark I make, by gently three-point turning, but I still leave a mark.

I couldn't find any photos of concrete with tire marks - but I sure do leave them.

Anyone know where I can find gray non-marking tires?

This is what a lot of caffiene can do for you :eek: :) :

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here's one answer to your dilemna....stay off the concrete. I've never seen a single advantage to this or even understood why people would do this. What does it do? Bring the stripes to the edge? So what? ....How about these reasons;
    1. Wears the tires out 3 times faster
    2. Destroys the edging job because it crushes the line that was cut and smushes the edge all down where the tires roll over it.
    3. Leaves a mess, because in many cases, not only are you leaving tire tracks, but in cases that the grass may be a little wet or damp, the grass that is stuck to the wheels stains the concrete as well.
    4. Wastes time. (that could be spent on turf).
    5. Not only does running the blades over concrete (or ANY hard surfaces) dull the blades fro picking up sand, stone, and particles, but it also creates a TREMENDOUS liability!
    So, again, I just don't see what the issue is, here. If it's the turnaround tracks in the turf that you are concerned with, then just do a quick cleanup lap around your island.
  7. Fescue Farmer

I appreciate your suggestions; they are very insightful and worth considering.

The tires do wear out much quicker when turning on concrete, but I do (believe it or not - I have profited greatly from the many wise posts about hyper-detailing ones overhead costs) take this into consideration when pricing these upscale yards.

90% of the time these lawns are not mowed when the ground is wet, so I don't "smush" the edges. I always vertical edge after I mow so my edges are sharp and crisp.

What would the following lawn in the photo look like framed in all around with a cleanup pass? It would completely take away from the design effect. My customers like the look and I have never had anyone complain about the tire marks that I leave on driveways and sidewalks - but I want to "clean up" this part of my mowing - any way to improve the finished product.

While your post is mostly true (except the cleanup pass - my opinion) I am still left wandering about whether there is a company making gray non-marking turf type tread rear mower tires?
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

Does anyone have any tire information?

8. seymour_glass

seymour_glass LawnSite Member

That, Mr. Fescue Farmer, is one totally kick-@ss front yard, if I might add my own humble opinion.
  9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Farmer, I have yet to see tires like you describe in sizes that are anywhere near large enough to fit a ZTR.. I HAVE seen them on mororized wheelchairs and such, but never anything bigger than that.. Sorry I couldn't help you..
  10. thebruken

thebruken LawnSite Member
    from KY

I have seen tire covers used on rental equipment such as lifts or booms to keep from marking concrete. Maybe a rental place can help you obtain a set of these covers that will fit your tires?