1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gray Slime Mold

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PR Fect, Oct 24, 2003.

1. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

We got what I think is slime mold on a few properties. Was just finishing up putting down my 18-8-18 Winterizer. Should I hold of and not put any more N on the sites that have the mold? Its a Gray/Blue mold on the grass. It started to show up mid summer in the shaded areas of the lawns. It now has spreed to much larger areas. Do we need to control this? If so how? We are in Zone 4 Wisconsin. Blue Grass, Fescue, Rye blended turf.
  2. PR Fect

I new it, I'm the only guy in the northern hemisphere that has slime mold on turf.
  3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Most references say that slime mold does not cause serious damage to turf and does not require control. From personal experience, I tend to disagree. I have seen damage in and around a golf green caused by slime mold. The long time recommendation for chemical treatment is 4 Flowable Mancozeb.
  4. PR Fect

Thanks, for the cure. If it harms turf or not, it is unsightly. Looks like someone washed out their paint brush on the lawn.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi PRFect,

Here is a quote from this site and a pic.

"The simplest control of Slime Molds is to brush them off the grass with a broom or rake. "