Grease and guns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeGA, Apr 8, 2001.

1. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

What kind of grease are yall using on your machines and has anyone tried the Lincoln rechargable grease guns?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

3. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

I checked the threads out and found noone mentioned Mystic synthetic grease. Also no one mentioned anything about the fact standard greases are clay-based and is this really good on these high speed spindles which probably sling the grease out pretty fast.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I use Mobil High Temperature Grease, hope that helps.

5. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Im not sure about the kind of grease but would like to know if anyone has used the lincoln rechargable gun. It seems every grease gun that I have ever touched I think I always had a hand full of grease.

6. EarthTech Landscapes

EarthTech Landscapes LawnSite Member

Guys I have one of those Linclon electric rechareable gresse guns. it works great much faster and cleaner then the normal old manual gun. Be sure to by the 12V one it is faster and the battery lasts longer the the 9V model. My 12V lasts for 5 tubes of greese. it shure makes life easier when i'm lubing the Bobcat or the dozer. It works great for anything that has zerk fittings. I ordered mine from the Northern Tool catalog I think that it was $145.00. Trust me this was worth every penny spent since it is virtually mess free. It is kept in the truck at all times. I always seem to find a use for it. it is also fun to use so in no time at all everything with a zerk fiting is over gressed. if there is anymore questions just ask.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i use mobil 1 grease just like eric. you cant beat mobil products.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

mike--can you explain this...the clay thing?

GEO

9. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

In the machine tool industry that I work in, we see spindle speeds upwards to 40,000 rpm. we will actually use grease in a spindle up to 18,000 beyond this we use a mist lube system. The grease we use is a synthetic grease comparable to EP (valvoline is a terrific brand} the problem we see more often is from over-lubrication. With an anti-friction roller bearing too much grease will churn thru the bearing and can cause the bearing to actually skid instead of rolling, this will overheat the bearing and require more horsepower to rotate. And will act as a sand magnet when it is purged thru the oil seal. A little grease goes a long way. also the shelf life of grease is only a few months. I recommend that you only buy enough to last 3 or 4 months. when you notice that you have oil separating out of the grease it time for some new stock. LOL

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use Mobile 1 synthetic.