Grease fitting on Pins stopped up

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Jul 7, 2008.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I had a pin that would no longer take grease.
    I pulled the pin and the hole in it was stopped up with something very hard and I had too drill it out too get it clear?It was in the hole that went out too the bushing so it was not accesible by removing the fitting.

Is this common?
    I grease before every use and never go over 8 hours between lubes.

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I have a lot of problems with grease down there in Texas. It seems that the caliche dust gets into the fittings and can get hard. I try and grease often sometimes every 5 hours on some fittings but still have some that often take a lot of work to get grease in. I occasionally have to take off the fitting and clean it or replace it and dig out whatever got down between the fitting and the pin and hardened up. I use a piece of wire to dig around and then blow it out with my air gun.
    My biggest issue is breaking fittings in tough areas to get to.

3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I tried too clean it out but the clog was in the hole where it turns up too exit too the bushing.
    So then I had too pull the pin and clean it out and then re install it.

4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

There are Grease Fitting rejuvenators, they are about the size of a very large ball point pen, but a thin welding wire is still better. Sometimes it's an accumulation of the crud that gets stuck on the ball of the fitting and when you grease it, it moves beyond the ball and that collects behind it, then when enough gets jammed up, it plugs up, kinda like a plaque build up right before a heart attack.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you can pull the pin out heat it up with a propane torch it softens up the grease and go at it with brake clean.

6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a suspension fitting lock up on my brand new ASV RC30 (after using it in a pond:cool2:). What I did was to take as much of the hard grease out as I could, replace the fitting with about a 1-1/2" X 1/8" pipe nipple, filled the pipe with kroil penetrating oil, and capped it off. Every time I walked by, or used the machine, I would refill the pipe. Took a couple of months, but eventually I saw oil running out of the pin, then I put the zerk back in and it would take grease. I've been known to hook a hyd line to the same setup, but try the kroil first, its top notch stuff!:clapping::clapping:

7. Ausman

Ausman LawnSite Senior Member

AWJ i will bet that was in your RC30. That is fairly common, cant say i have worked out why except that there is no bushing there and the dirt gets in and gets packed hard.

8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had this happen on the bucket pivot pin on my loader on two diff machines. Both times, the bushing spun. On the older S-185, I drilled a new hole in the bushing with a regular steel bit. On the new K series, they are using some kind of super-hard alloy. A regular bit literally wouldn't scratch it. I had to use a masonry bit to put a new hole in the bushing.

I've got a zerk on my Harley rake that still won't take grease and I have just gave up on it. It's just one of the angle fittings so hopefully I will get away with it for awhile.