grease fitting on Ultra Vac...grrrr!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Oct 19, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

OK...so me the Stupid Mower Guy is having a heck of time trying to keep the grease gun attached to this zerk which, of course, is located in an almost impossible place to gain access to....any tips to make this task easier are much appreciated...I;d rather not take it apart just to give it 2 pumps of grease....grrrrrr,,,this thing is almost as aggravating as where the oil filter is located

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The answer is simple. Get a Ferris with a Trac Vac (no grease fittings on the Trac Vac btw). Sorry Gar, had to throw that one in...LOL.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

GarPa,

Your having problems keeping the grease gun attached to the ZERK? Put grease hose on ZERK, and pump. Do you have a hand trigger grease gun, or the old fashond big lever pump ones? Do you have a flexible hose or a fixed end gun?

Get a flexible hose with a 90 degree tip and a swivel, and of course the one hand trigger kind.

I believe you have to remove the blower unit to grease it. Are you doing that?

1-2 pumps every 25 hrs is what they recommend. Thats about every week.

I don't know what else to tell ya.

4. GarPA

from PA

Tommy my grease gun is older than Rodfather and me put together...it should be in a museum. I'll get a new one this week...no I have not taken it apart and I dont want to once a week. That will be ridiculous. I think those design engineers get a chuckle when they design some of this equipment...theres no darn reason that zerk has to be hiding where it is....except to satisfy the engineers sick sense of humor...thanks for the advice though

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty soon that's where we'll be Gary...a couple of ORF's :D

6. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i use a air grease gun.works wonders

7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Pneumatic grease gun is one of the best tools I've ever purchased....... especially when you're holdin the end onto a zerk in a rough spot... just pull the trigger a couple times.... EASY.... got mine at Northern Tool for around $30-$35.. came with second head to function manually (without air)

8. GarPA

from PA

Will the need for new tools EVER end.....just kidding...well kind of

If it keeps up I'll have enough tools to open up my own repair shop soon.....but then again, on most of them I dont know which end to hold......

I never did love that Ultra Vac....and I'm liking it less as time goes by. Hernia maker getting the hopper on and into the frame holes ,stand on my head to grease the almost-invisible zerk, finger ripper putting it on the mower when a realtively new belt is on....all this grief for a whopping 3 to 4 minutes of "vacuuming" before it has to be emptied. Somethings wrong with this picture.

9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Wow GarPA....I've had the Ultra Vac for about 2 years and have never experienced any trouble.
    Grease while on your head is not necessary. Just pull the blower off and turn it over..only takes maybe a minute.
    Never ripped a finger installing the unit and finally I have the 3 bag unit. Can vacuum alot of debris before dumping.....

Sorry that you have so much difficulty with such a nice machine....

oh yea...I can install the whole unit by myself in about 2 minutes or less.

10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is an Air/Hand-Operated Grease Gun with a flexible tip to get those hard to reach places. Click image for link.

[​IMG]