Grease fitting plugged

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lasher66, Sep 9, 2004.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

HI,
    I am trying to lube a grease fitting underneath my ZTR on one of the tension pulleys and it wont let me inject grease into it. Just wondering what I can do to unplug it because it is starting to squeak a bit. thnks for any help.

Lasher

2. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Just remove the grease zerk, probably a 3/8’’ or 7/16’’ wrench and replace it. Or you can take a small drill bit and twist it by hand in the backside of the zerk.
    You can by a bunch of different size zerks a Harbor Freight for under $10.00
    Hope this helps!
    Jeff

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Several things you can do. Can you get to it to remove it? If so, just replace it with a new one. Use a 1/4" drive socket set to remove and re-install. Be careful not to cross-thread it. You can try a power greaser: usually air operated. They can usually over-power any obstruction in the fitting. And lastly, you can try a LITTLE bit of heat, to try and soften any old grease that might be in there. USUALLY, the problem is a result of either a piece of dirt getting into the fitting, OR ,the old grease has hardened enough to NOT let the new grease in. Keep us posted as to the outcome......JIM.

J.Gordon likes this.
  4. Dwan

Dwan LawnSite Member

If none of the above work then the bushing may have turned inside the pully in which case you should take it off press it out, clean it and realign the bushing. Hopfully it is just a pluged jerk.

5. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I should have added to always wipe the dirt off of the fitting before you try to add grease.

6. Lodi Lawn

Lodi Lawn LawnSite Member

On my Exmarks you should take the tension off the bushing before greasing. Sometimes they won't take grease unless you do this. On 2 of my Lazer's the belt idler arm would not take grease and I had to replace the bushings. On other zerks if they don't take grease I take them off and pump grease while holding them in my hand this usually un-plugs them. Hope this helps.

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

you can get a little tool that will clean the zerk

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

also check the hole where the fitting is. Sometimes that clogs and the zerk is not the problem.

9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Zerks are under a buck a piece. If, when you take it out of its hole, won't let grease pass through, throw the frikkin thing out, and replace it. Next question, please.
    Crawdad

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

WHAT! WASTE A WHOLE BUCK!!
    Just joking but you would not believe the people I have seen waste half a hour trying to save a cotter key for crying out loud.