Grease fittings

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Branchland, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I have a grease fitting that won't take grease. I did wipe it clean before trying. What do yall do in this situation?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If it is threaded in the unscrew it and replace with a new one. If it is barbed then wait until the spindle or whatever it is on grenades and replace it.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, Don't you think thats a little silly maniac ? A press in grease fitting can be replaced just as quick if not quicker than a screw in type, All you need is a pair of vise grips to lightly grab the old one and tap with a hammer.
    Install the new one with a 1/4" drive 9/32" socket with a extension to hold it then lightly driven in with a hammer.

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I tell my customers with this same complaint, Grease them more often! :hammerhead: of course I mean after you replace the bad ones, the reason they stop taking grease is because the back of the fitting gets packed with dirt, rust, etc. If you are greasing all the fittings as per manufacture specs they are less likely to fail.

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not heat it up?

6. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I found one the other day I didn't know was there. Other than that I do grease them often.

Thanks for the info guys.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Because heating one will cause the small spring inside holding the ball in place to shrink then the ball will no longer seal letting dirt into the fitting. Then when greased after that will push the dirt into what ever the fitting is screwed into.

8. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Good answer.

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Try a grease fitting rejuvinator thing. You can put a lighter oil in them and push that through to free things up and then you can grease it and push the oil out.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Didnt think about it until after I hit submit post.

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: