Grease fittings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, Aug 11, 2001.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried a search first, but did not fine the answer I was looking for so here goes. I noticed that when I grease my w/b it shoots alot of grease out inbetween the gun hose tip and the fitting. Only a little bit seems to actually seems to get in. Does this sound like the hose is bad or the fitting or possibly both? Thanks for any help.
  2. Buttered Waffle

Buttered Waffle LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Grease guns are cheap. Grease fittings are cheap. Walk behind spindles, castors, and wheel bearings are expensive. I would suggest getting a new grease gun and grease fittings.
  3. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

the grease fitting on mine is adjustable, if it is adjusted too loose, it will ooze like you are talking about.
  4. BCLawncare

BCLawncare LawnSite Member

Just replace your tip , I bet that will solve your problem. Also i,
    have found that Lincoln guns and tips are the best. A Lincoln tip
    will out last three cheap tips.
  5. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

The tip on your grease gun's hose might just be worn, try replacing it first & see if that improves things. If not, then try replacing the grease fittings themselves.

The little bit of grease that does seem to be getting to the bearing - is it fairly easy to squeeze the trigger on the grease gun, or a real struggle? Ideally, it shouldn't take much effort to send the grease through the fitting. If it's a real struggle, the grease fitting may need replacement - the little metal ball could be seized up.

And, make sure you have the gun tip square on to the fitting (which can sometimes be a little difficult in tight areas - the inner tie rod ends on my truck for example)
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with BCLawncare on this. The Lincoln is a good grease gun for the money. Try a new tip before changing the fittings. Also, make sure you have the tip on the fitting straight or it will squirt out all over. A fitting should last for many years unless it has gotten damaged some how.
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks very much to all who replied to my question about grease fittings. I will definately use this advise. Thanks, again
  8. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

In addition to all mentioned above, I have also had the ball bearing inside the fitting stick which prevented grease from entering. A very gentle push on it with the tip of a small screwdriver or awl to free the movement of the ball and then grease it. Fittings are cheap, but this only takes a second to see if that is the problem and the fitting needs changing.
  9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I watch the guys at work not push hard enough onto the fitting to "click" in and they just squirt it everywhere.

Just another tip: If your going to start replacing fittings, they sell a little tool you should be able to find at any auto parts store. It has a wrench on both sides to remove and install the fittings, it also had a tap for cleaning the threads ad an extractor to pull out broken fittings.

For a few bucks it comes in really handy!
  10. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Check the fitting on the grease gun. I know that the one I have (Lincoln) is adjustable. You can screw the tip in or out to adjust how tight it fits on the machine fittings. These can sometimes get loose.