1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grease for deck spindle bearings

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by MGV, Jul 13, 2006.

1. MGV

MGV LawnSite Member

I just purchased a Hustler Super Z with the XR-7 60" deck. My dealer said that the blade spindle bearings were sealed and did not require grease. But when I was under the deck to change the blades I see there are grease fittings on each spindle and the owners manual recommends that they should be greased. Any help on this would be appreciated. Also just wanted to thank Hustler for coming up with a fix so quick for the mower deck leaving a strip of grass on the left side.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The spindles do have sealed bearings.
    There is a grease fitting on them, you are greasing the shaft and housing, and this is to be done every 500 hours.

3. Tockit

Tockit LawnSite Member

Quick question.

My 2009 Super Z manual says to grease the spindles 'Annually' OR every 500 hours.

I bought my Super Z last winter for residential use and only put about 50 hours on it this past season.

I know this is somewhat self-explanatory, but if I wait until I got 500 hours at 50 hours a season, it will be 10 years.

Should I grease those spindles this winter, or wait till I hit 500 hours?

What do you recommend, and what kind of grease do you use on the spindles?

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would grease them during your annual maintenance.
    As to what kind of grease, that really is a personal preference thing, I like to use synthetic in most of my equipment and recreational vehicles...