grease gun woes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Echelon, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Echelon

Echelon LawnSite Member
    from ohio

is there some kind of secret to operating a grease gun im missing? everytime i go to use one of these things it always seems to stop pumping when i know theres grease in it.

mine has some type of a bleeder valve-like thing on it but i cant seem to get it to help any either. any tips i may have missed would be great with this thing, its driving me mad.
  2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

MY bleeder valvue poped off and all the greese came out that little hole every time I pumped. Im starting to think all grease guns and peices of Sh*t.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Your grease gun must have an air pocket. I presume you are moving the lever (if a lever action gun), but are not getting any grease. You need to get the air pocket out. How to do it on your gun, I don't think we can answer without more information.

I had a cheap Plew gun for many years and got frustrated with it. The issue was difficulty in getting a new cartridge installed without getting grease all over me, the floor, and whatever else was in the vicinity. Last Winter, I bought this one:

I don't use mine very much to warrant a pnuematic gun, or an electric one with a battery cartridge. This lever action gun has worked great for me. It is much better to load than the cheaper Plew gun. But, it too will have an air pocket after reloading sometimes. When it does, sometimes numerous pumps will get rid of the air, but usually, I need to unscrew the head until nearly coming off the threads and then pump the plunger a few times. The lever action will probably start to pump grease at that point. This one has a valve on the head, but I've never been able to successfully bleed an air pocket with the valve.

I think Plew makes a comparable model to this Lincoln gun.
  4. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

5. horizonmowing

horizonmowing LawnSite Member

i hate greese guns, what a damn mess and never itworks right. But i got mine from home depot, so what should i expect
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, when u change the cartrige you get slimed... Best trick I found is to take some of the leftover grease out of the old empty one and use it to "top off" the new one once you have it slid in place. Get it FULL, almost kind of heaping and smooth and THEN screw the top back on. Since I started doing mine that way Iv'e not had any problems with getting it to GO. (hope that makes any sence!) Also, since the grease is suck a PITA to clean up, 1. work OVER the trash can when re-loading, and 2. get a box of latex gloves and slap on a pair when you re-load. No, i'm not afraid of some grease but there's a difference between getting some on you while working and having to dig around in it while loading the grease gun. If I was packin some bearings I'd expect to get greasy, but usually I'm not in the mood for that much of a cleaning when I'm in the middle of greasing the mower.
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Funny this subject came up....I bought a gun off the matco tool truck 18 yrs. ago and never had any problem at all with it. A month ago I decided to up-grade to a new one, I bought one off the snap-on truck that cost $68 and change. I have spent more time trying to keep that dam thing primed than I have pumping the handle. I told the guy a week later and he said try this try that, Well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to operate a grease gun so after playing with it for a freakin half hour Friday trying to grease a commercial guy's unit while waiting I decided this snap-on guy was gonna eat this gun.

Well, He pulled in today and got a ear full....He took it and said he would play with it and get back with me, I told him I was going to NAPA and get one of their $28 guns.
    If nothing is done about it I will tell him not to bother stopping anymore cuz he is not getting another dime out of me.
  8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

What grease are you using?

We have some of this Kenda Super Blue stuff that just plain sucks. Its fine in the summer, but when the temperature drops the guns wont pump it. The grease like seperates into a leaky/liquid component and a very sticky goo like solid component. Glad we only have a little of it left.

We really dont use the grease guns too much though. We have a couple of air operated ones on drums. They dont run out quite as fast ;)
  9. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem with mine. When that happens, I unscrew the lever end just a turn or 2, pump the handle till grease starts to flow, then tighten it back up. Seems to work for me. (until I put in a new cartridge again)
  10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Here's how I do it.....and it works for me.
    Take old cartridge out. Pull extension lever back all the way. Take off bottom cap of grease cartridge. Insert into gun. Remove top tube cover. (Now the trick) Take screw top and just start the top on the threads and release the plunger to exert pressure......finish tightening up the grease gun top. This little method seems to work at releasing the air and getting grease to flow immediately. Rarely does this little system fail on my electric grease gun or my manuel hand guns.
    For fun, I let my crew guys replace the tubes when they run drives these guys crazy 'cause they can't get it to work even after 30 or so minutes of frustration.....My little method is clean, simple and it works more times than not.......