Grease Guns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grass Man, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

GREASE GUNS

.... I have been frustrated to no end over my grease guns. When I was a kid, and that was many many years ago, I had a grease gun that never failed. But, now that I am older and the grease guns are larger, and the grease is better, I can't get it to come out on a regular bases. I have tried heating the grease guns, long rodes to relieve the air pressure, take them apart and rearrange the the grease in the tub etc., unscrew the fittings on the ends to relieve the air and so on. Even storing them in a certain position. And, if it's not the guns than it's the fittings that wont cooperate. Eventually, I do get them to work but what a mess. I have more grease on me then the mowers or what ever else I am greasing. What has been your experiences? And how have you managed the problem :eek: ?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Air grease gun. There stong enough to unplug a clogged zerk and as easy as pulling the trigger

3. RELIABLELAWNMAN

RELIABLELAWNMAN LawnSite Member

I mounted a small grease gun under the hood of my truck. Helps in the winter
    months with warm grease.

4. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

If you want a hand pump grease gun, buy quality, SNAP-ON, Blue Point ect. I have SNAP-ONs I keep in the trailers, never had any problems. I also have an air grease gun, sits on a 30 gallon drum of grease....air is by far the best way to go.

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Yep, have to get a quality grease gun. I have multiple grease guns, each with a different fitting, and the last one I bought was a cheapo. I said to myself, "Oh, it'll work as well, and it's half the price!". Well, it's a big pile of crap. Spend the money to get the good stuff!

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

just the oppisite here in florida.its so hot that the grease melts and runs out of the gun. buy the best gun you can find and it will make a big difference. cheap ones dont work right or fail early

7. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Yeah I gotta get me a air grease gun. Regular ones suck...everyone I ever used.

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

grease guns are also one of my pet peeves. spend an hour messing with the gun and cleaning up and 30 seconds greasing.

10. uspw

uspw LawnSite Member

Unfortunately, I cant agree wit you guys having so much trouble with the grease guns. All I can say is that you have to have the pistol-grip style, but I bought mine from Auto-zone ($15) and it works like a charm.