Grease guns

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by AVRECON, Feb 20, 2002.

1. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody here use an air powered grease gun? What are the pros and cons compared to a regular grease gun?

2. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Air powered is easier to use this way if you have a hard to reach fitting you can hold the tip on the fitting and squeeze the trigger to feed the grease in. It takes 2 hand just to operate a manual grease gun! Just make sure you have a regulator on your compressor and set it to the proper air pressure settings.

3. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Other than the need to have a source of compressed air in the first place, I don't see any real "con" to the air powered grease gun - obviously, it's a shop tool as opposed to one for use out in the field.

You can get manual grease guns that take a full-size cartridge but can be worked with one hand, leaving the other free to keep the nozzle secure.

4. golfmanres

golfmanres LawnSite Member

from working at the golfcourse for 8 years i have seen 6 neumtic lubicators break and never one manual one. the air ones like to get air pockets and you have to stop because you think that they are broken so you have to re prime them its a con i dont like them at all...:angry:

5. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

You can buy manual grease guns all day for under $10. We use to supply them for each tech. Not a big expense. They last just about forever.

6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i've benn using a battery powered grease gun made by lincoln, for 3 years without any problems what so ever, i got it from northern, was about $200. Tony

7. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I completely agree with Golfmanres - although the battery powered one that landman references looks pretty good (but it's $200!). We bought an air powered one two years ago for the shop and no one uses it - (see Golfmanres' complaints). It'd only be nice to use if you only had one hand free to grease something - otherwise the $10 manual deal is the best thing around (until they make the air powered continuous action like the battery powered units!).

8. JFCizek II

JFCizek II LawnSite Member

:D I have used one hand grease guns in my mowing business for about 24 years. I paid about $20 at NAPA for then also purchased flex tubes for my grease guns so they truely can be used one handed. About 17 years ago I went to a garage auction and bought for $65 a Lincoln 30gal grease pump. I since have put about $50 in new parts over the years. With zerk fittings on all my grease guns for easy filling. I use the air greaser in my shop and the guns in the field. Joseph

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

All my trucks have manual guns on them. I buy them from NAPA and they are "good" ones. Well they seem to last about a year. I buy new ones when they break because I want my equipment greased.

In my shop I have one air gun 7 years old never had a problem. I have run countless tubes through it and never has failed me. It is easy to use and clean.

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

There is no con's to a pneumatic grease gun. Has saved me many many hours, and alot of sore forearms. Very fast convienient, and you get a better fill of the cavity due to the greater preasure. I got mine from autozone for under $30, and it has never failed me.

Jay