Grease problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, Jun 28, 2005.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

It's raining today so I figured I should wash the mowers, sharpen the blades and grease them up. Well I took the cover off the front of the mower (the one that covers the belts for the spindles and blades) and after washing it out I found there to be alot of grease splattered around and some of it was on the inside of the cover. Did I just over grese one of the spindles? Thanks for any help.

2. LawnBoy89

bumpity bump bump bump

3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure what kind of mower you have but on my scag the spindles have a grease relief poppet on the opposite side of the grease fitting so if you do put too much in it leaks out. It makes kinda of a mess but nothing to worry about.

4. LawnBoy89

On the opposite side of the grease fitting there is a little hole where grease has come out before after I grease them. So maybe some just came out and then the speed of the belts made it go everywhere. That is what I'm hoping. I'm hoping that I didn't bust a seal or anything. Thanks for the help.

By the way, where abouts do you live in CT?

5. jt5019

Thats what the relief is for so you dont damage anything by over greasing.If you see it starting to come out then you dont need to put anymore in.It sounds to me like it just came out a relief,and yes it can make a mess if a good amount leaked out.Just keep an eye on it see what happens.

Im from Middletown :waving:

6. LawnBoy89

I'm from East Haven. I'm not too crazy about it...I have to catch up tommorow hopefully it won't rain again.

7. jt5019

I know that feeling.. i tried three times to get out today but it just didnt dry enough. Now im a day behind and its a holiday weekend

We really did need the rain bad though so i guess its for the better.

8. LawnBoy89

Yea we deff. did, I have to be at work at 3 tommorow so I'm going to get out early and see how many I can get done, what time do you usually start?

9. jt5019

8 am residential 7 am commercial

10. LawnBoy89

Yea that is what I'm going to do tommorow. I'm gonna start at 8, and I'll do my farthest account first so I'll leave my house around 7:30. Well thanks for the help man and hopefully we can mow tommorow.