Grease Question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HighGrass, Oct 19, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I recently purchased a New Scag Wildcat...with greasable mower spindles. The manual says to grease everything with chassis greas EXCEPT the spindles which are supposed to be greased with Lithium or Mobilix #2. Is there anything I can use on them all to keep my grease inventory all the same?

2. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

My thinking is that "chassis grease" is a pretty loose category. I would think that lithium or this mobilix would fall in the category of chassis grease.

Honestly though, if it were mine I would use the grease that I keep in my gun on everything. I keep a gray moly grease in my gun and that's what I use on everything.

Good luck,
    Doc

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I have three grease guns...

Small one for grease on all the trimmer heads.

Large one we use for trailer bearings and also as the chassis grease on our scags.

A third with a flexible spout for the spindles. We use lithium grease.

Funny thing is, I stopped at the dealer to pick up some grease cause the local auto parts store (which is cheaper) didn't have any. I asked the dealer for lithium grease. He said, "for what" I looked at him and said the nine spindles for our scags. He said, "Oh, we just use 'regular' grease." I said okay and left. Kinda scary...does anyone else not use what it suggests in the manual?

4. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

As long as they are kept greased AND not left in the weather to gather moisture, I doubt that which grease you use makes much difference. It's sort of like the oil wars, it's more important to keep the oil changed than anything including the brand choice. In the case of the spindles there's nothing more important than keeping them greased.

Good luck,
    Doc

5. evan price

evan price LawnSite Member

I use Mobil-One synthetic grease for everything. Makes it simple.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

home depot has best price for grease i can find -1.99 per tube. i agree cheap grease is better than no grease

7. T-Trim

T-Trim LawnSite Member

I use marine grease in my spindles.

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Agreed...but you never know when the carry it and when the do its only a few cans.

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

i use hi temp marine grease for every thing mower, aerator, truck, trailer, spreader,and home. Its the beast i could find never a problem spindles ones a week. My mowers are run 4 days a week since 1998 still stock spindles

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

thats true so i usually buy their entire stock when they have it