1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Grease zerk problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 4-Leaf, Apr 21, 2006.

1. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

So -- the deck on my Toro Z-Master started going down a little slow. I decided to grease the zerks. 2 of the 3 zerks (one of the two on the rotating shaft) would not take grease so I removed/cleaned them and checked they would allow the grease through while they were out. I reinstalled them but only one of them takes grease. I took out the problem zerk again to be sure it was allowing grease to flow through and it was ok -- but one i reinstalled it, it would not allow grease to flow. I tried to clean out the hole where the zerk went on but it felt rubbery inside and nothing came out as I was cleaning it. It still won't take grease. Any ideas??

2. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Take a piece of wire inside and try to get out as much as you can then regrease, and run it then check it again . Just keep doing that until it comes thru for you.

3. Talon1189

Talon1189 LawnSite Member

Take apart the part that will not take the grease and thoughly clean both parts out thoughly with a solvent. If you grease the zerks more regularly per the manual you will not have this problem in the future :) Always use synthetic grease, and the problem will almost be eliminated in the future :)

4. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

go to a shop and buy some new zerks....well worth the few bucks, and buy a couple spares. Don't forget, many times a zerk will not take grease if there is tension on the part blocking the inlet of the zerk-sit the deck on a block, then try to grease it.

5. I've used a tiny drill bit held in my fingers to dig crud out of a dried up grease fitting hole. Then spray the hole with WD-40. Reinstall the zerk and if it won't take grease right away, the WD-40 will have it softened up by the next morning. Of course Talon's method is much better.
    Dave

6. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

If ther is dirt in the zerk,this is the best method.You can buy kits of zerks for the shop which is what I do.You might do best to take the whole assembly apart and clean-a seal may have failed and is messing up the grease flow .

7. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Take it apart and clean it. If the shaft is longer than 3 inches, I grind three flats lengthwise on the shaft to give the grease a path. Stop grinding 3/4 an inch from the ends. Another trick is to pick up a 12 inch grease extention hose . Fill it with penetrating fluid and then force it into the zirk with the grease gun. I use an air greaser.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is a simple and all too common of a problem. Your zerk is bottoming out when you insert it. Back it off just a touch, and piut your grease in and see what happens. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that this is what it is.