Grease

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by S man, Aug 14, 2005.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Should I grease the head on my commercial steel shaft trimmer? The dealer wasen't very professional and didn't tell me to do it. The manual says to.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

No, only grease it when you notice unusaul sounds from the gearcase. Others have discussed how too much grease can be a very bad thing in the trimmers.

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I grease mine about once a year, I use a grease gun for the tip of a chainsaw. :)

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Same here, but I used a grease needle (can get them at TSC). Just stick it in the back of the housing threw the grease hole. And pump away until all the old grease is out.

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

At the shop we do grease trimmer heads. DO NOT put a grease fitting in place of the grease fill bolt. Doing so you will not know when to stop. You only need about one shoot of grease a year for home use and pro use about one shoot a week may be called for. I have seen people put grease fittings in there trimmer to make them easy to grease but this is a big no-no. I have lost count of the trimmers I have seen come in the shop that have grease coming out of the motor housing where they filled the whole drive tube up and started pushing grease into the clutch and even into the engine. Have you even tried to remove 5 pounds of grease from a trimmer drive tube, it is not fun. And the grease will mess the clutch up and it may have to be replaced and I have heard of at least one trimmer that caught fire from grease from the tube being filled up. If you are unsure about greasing your trimmer head just remove the gear box from the shaft and then grease it or better yet leave it to someone that knows about such things. And when and if you do grease your trimmer head gear box use a high temp, high presssure grease. Remember these things are turning at 10,000+ RPMs.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I will put a *small* dab of grease in at every 15 hours per the manual, and actually pull the gear case off every 125 hours, and replace with new grease. that way, you know if it is starting to go up the shaft.

7. S man

What would that do to a steel shaft? I have noticed the head being very hot.

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

What would what do to a steel shaft? Please explain.

9. S man

Grease going up the shaft.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Lets see, when the grease starts comming out of the clutch housing, I suppose that is what happens.