Grease??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cat2, Oct 20, 2007.

1. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

What brand of grease does everyone use?

2. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I will have to say I always use name brand oil and mostly a certain brand but for grease I have never had an issue with just using grease from TSC or Farm Fleet. Im sure someone will shoot me down for that but never had an issue. I have used Deere, Cat, and Case IH brand grease also.

3. cat2

from Mi

I get my grease from TSC too. What is the name of the stuff you get? Well what color is it?

4. cat2

from Mi

I'm thinking about trying a different brand, because on my bobcat the grease doens't seem to be sticking to the pins very good, there for they are wearing faster. What is the proper way to check pin wear? Have the bucket level about 4inches off the ground and put a jack under there and jack it up and while you're doing that see how much play there is?:confused:

5. Fieldman12

I would have to look at the name and right now Im about an hour from the barn. I just use the (multi-purpose dark brown) grease. I though about buying different grease but from the machines that I have used the other stuff on I could not really tell that much difference. The only place I have any wear and need replacement pins and bushings is where the bucket curls. The two top pins need replaced there. Actually I priced the two pins, bushings and to fix the lower part but not really needed yet while at Deere this morning. Parts where like $97.00 bucks. The rest seems as tight as any other Deere that is knew. It has a little boom sway at times but like I said not any more than a new one.

6. Fieldman12

Seems like all of them no matter what brand wears out at the bucket curl first.

7. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Traveller brand from TSC. I get the Premium grease that is red. I used to the the regular black grease, but I like the red better because it's thicker, and I think it holds longer before it runs out or rubs in.

Having said that, greasing on a regular basis is much more important than which grease that you use. The main thing is that the pins and bushings have lubricant.

8. Fieldman12

That's the brand I use (Traveller). That has been what I found that is more important to grease on a regular basis than the type you use.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing but Chevron grease next in line would be Red Ram then Esso

The Chevron grease is Chevron Ultra-duty EP NLGI 0,1,2

Chevron Ultra-Duty Greases EP deliver value through:
    • High shock load protection
    • High load-carrying protection
    • High corrosion and rust protection — Chevron
    Ultra-Duty Greases EP pass the ASTM D 1743
    bearing corrosion test.
    • High water resistance
    • Extended service lubrication

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I use Case/IH grease in the red tube. Works as well as anything else including synthetics I have tried.