Grease

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DaughtryLC, May 31, 2008.

1. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

How often do U guys grease your spindles (hrs) and about how many pumps per spindle?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We dont grease ours because they are sealed but on ones you can grease I would do it every 25 hours with 2 to 3 pumps per spindle.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Too often probably. My Scag manual says to use special high temperature grease for the spindles but my dealer looks at me like I'm crazy. He says the red pennzoil is fine? I think they use pennzoil red for everything. I have little confidence in most dealers and mechanics who seem less up to date than I am and I'm not that good mechanically.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Chevron red on the scags every week till it pops up on the overflow........

5. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep! same here weekly on all mowers...grease is cheap verses new spindles!

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah that one can be debated. Personaly I would run the best high temp synthetic I could get my hands on. Spindles can get very very hot and make normal grease melt.

7. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

I use Mystic JT-6 Red Hi Temp on the spindles and driveshaft, nd regular JT-6 on everything else on the mower. Any grease at regular intervals is better than the way most people grease their mowers, but I think any brand of red HI Temp grease will do the job just fine. I'm not a supporter of Hugo Chavez, as I understand he owns Citgo, which owns Mystic, but I always used Mystic JT-6 before I knew that and always had good luck with it. Now I am afraid to switch.

8. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

I some times have to pump 30 to 40 times to get the bleeder to pop, thats at every 40 to 50 hrs.

9. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

I grease mine at 40-50 hrs and my tigers spindles sometimes take 15-205) Or at least it seams like it to go out the blow out valve.

10. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Lucas Red and Tacky every 20 or so hours and about 5 or 6 pumps each. (Spindles only)

Everything else gets JD EP grease the stuff that comes in the equipment from the factory.

My Stihl HS 45 gets the Stihl hedge trimmer lithium grease.