greaseable or not??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KillerShark, Apr 14, 2001.

1. KillerShark

KillerShark LawnSite Member

When considering a new mower... shouldn't you get one with grease fittings on the spindles? There seems to be a lot of new ones that are claiming to be maintenance free (without a way to grease them). So whats the deal? Does it really matter?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i think it depends on how long you expect your spindles to last. one lco in this area changes all his every other year
    whether they are bad or not.if i was going to do it like that id rather have the ones you didnt have to fool with.
    my preference is greasable to try an get as much time out of them as possible.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

but not everyone will agree on this. my lesco 48 belt is old as the hills and has the original spindle bearings. everyday (that I mow) they get a fresh shot of grease.

changing bearings is a pain I would think and there is the chance of the sudden break down with them while they are going down.

by the way--I knew a guy with a new KEES 48 wb and we were discussing that his spindle bearings were non-greasable. he said time was money and I was wasting time greasing mine everyday.

unfortunately for him he found out later that summer that his was the greasable kind also and that the fittings were UNDER the deck. HA!

GEO

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My old Exmark w/b is greaseable and my new one is non-greaseable. It's easier not to have to grease spindles, but I also wonder if this is better. Don't know, I guess time will tell.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have always thought greaseable spindle bearing were best. I have noticed that when you by new U joints for a car or truck, they are greaseable and they seem to last longer too, as long as you grease them.

6. brandy

brandy LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

Have bobcat ztr with non greasable spindles 2000 hours and haven't had any problems yet. This machine requires matienace every 50 hours which is really a nice feature.

7. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

I put a set of spindle bearings in one of our choppers last summer, and found they are sealed bearings. Doesen't seem to me that greasing them does much good.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Go with sealed bearings. evan the most maintanence consious person must forget or be too busy once in a while do keep up on things. Alot of deck bearings are sealed, and i havent had any problems with them.

9. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

The way I look at it is if you grease them they will last if you dont they wont last. This is why I heard that exmark went to sealed bearings instead of greaseable bearings, it was giving them a bad name because people wouldnt grease them when they had grease fittings.So if you will grease them go with the mower that has grease fittings if your not the maitaince type go with the sealed bearings.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Let me throw my opinion into the fray. To my knowledge there have been no reports here on Lawnsite about nongreaseable spindle bearing failures on any commercial machines. My Exmark has them and I haven't had a minute's trouble from them. I wouldn't even let this be a deciding factor in wether or not to buy a mower.