greaser

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scorpioxx, Mar 15, 2009.

1. scorpioxx

scorpioxx LawnSite Member

how often should i grease my bearins on my trailer?

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Do you have "bearing buddies" on the hubs? If so, a single pump once every month or so should be fine. If they have dust caps, maybe once a year depending on how much drive time you put on them.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's supposed to be the other way around...
    Yes, dust caps once / month, bearing buddies once a year.
    That's what I have, grease them about once every year, in 7 years not a problem.
    Get bearing buddies, they'll save you tons of time.

Makes ya kinda wish they made these for cars :p

4. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

once a year is plenty. We've had both kinds (all have bearing buddies now).

In over 20yrs I've never had a trailer bearing go bad and we have 5 trailers.

What causes most trailer bearing failures is actually lack of use, the grease solidifies over time and the bearings get no lube.

I've bought used trailers that had sat around for most of the year for several years and as soon as I got them to the shop I'd pull the wheels off. Most of the time the grease was in "chunks" or was nearly dried out.

5. ALC-GregH

from PA

I'm not to sure on that. The buddies are made to make it easy to grease the bearings. Why would you pull the wheels and hubs off to grease them once a month? That's a little to often if ya ask me. They can easily go 10K without touching them as long as the grease is good in the first place. The buddies allow you to NOT have to dis assemble the hubs. Now if you have brakes on the trailer, then I'd dis assemble and clean them up and grease them. Heat will kill the good grease over time and get watery. I've done 1000's of brake jobs on autos to know that they don't need it as often as most think they do. Using a high end grease is a plus.

6. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

is there a video anywhere on how to do this. I have the dust caps and Ive dropped my trailer off at the place where i bought it.. the guy charge me 50 per axle to do mine. Last year he replaced three bearings.. he said they were bad.

Id rather do it myself... but its one of those things. Ive never done it before.. but one time to show me is all i need.

thanks

7. ALC-GregH

from PA

$50 an axle isn't a bad price at all.

8. Green Machine Mowing

Green Machine Mowing LawnSite Member

are we talking squirting grease into bearings, or packing them?? if someone charged you $50 to pump a few shots of grease into thoes bearings:hammerhead:

9. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

I would assume that was for pulling them out, packing them and installing new seals. It's not a bad price either as even with a "bearing packer" tool it's a fairly nasty job.

Very easy to do though and just do a google search.... you'll get plenty of "how too" information.

And you can't just slap bearing buddies on and go unless the bearings have been repacked first to make sure there already good grease in there.

Also, grease is not "consumed" If it's disappearing then it's leaking out somewhere... and it's easy with bearing buddies to shoot too much grease into the hub and ruin the seal on the back side.

We used to just pull ours once a year and re-pack them. Even then they never looked like they really needed it because the seals were still good and the grease always looked fine.

Never had to replace a trailer bearing in over 20yrs...

10. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies.... I did some searching and youtube had a lot of videos and i surfed around thru other sites that sell replacement parts.

now for the dumb question.

how do i find out what size the replacement seals and races and bearings would be for my trailer?