Greasing a peerless?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Idealtim, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Has anybody noticed a grease fitting on the side of there 5 speed peerless drive transmission? I saw it today when servicing my bobcat and just pumped 30 pumps with the gun and hit no resistance. I didn't notice any difference of the sound of the box. Was I not supposed to do this or should I have been doing this the whole time?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

You pumped 30 squirts of normal grease in there? I sure hope your kidding! The peerless trans uses a special white grease and not normal grease.

Bentonite Grease is what is suppose to be used. I dont know for sure if normal grease will hurt it but a friend of mine is a certified peerless tech and he told us to strictly use the bentonite grease.

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/Tecumseh/peerless_transaxle.html

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I have yet to see one with a grease fitting on the trans. Is this a 700 model trans? How old is this bobcat?

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

There are fittings on the shaft collars on each side of the trans. I sure hope you didn't pump that into the trans itself.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Folks, it won't hurt a thing. Bentonite is the preferred grease however. In regards to actually needing grease I use this guideline...

If you don't see grease leaking out of the tranny then it doesn't need any. The tranny would have to leak about 2 hand-fulls of grease before it was empty so it would have to leak a lot before needing more. They will seep some grease out of them but it is normal and doesn't indicate the need for additional grease. Normally you will wear the tranny out long before it needs additional grease.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I can't imagine you getting 30 pumps in one but if you did there isn't anything you are going to hurt with that grease. If you have ever had one apart you would see that they hold alot of grease. Like Richard Martin said in the above post, you would have to leak alot of grease out before it would become a problem. I rarely grease mine and its 6 years old. The zerks on the collars are for just the collars and most of the grease you put in probably pushed out anyways. In the future only give a couple of squirts on each zerk and don't worry about what grease to use. Just use a quality brand of grease.

7. pugs

Yah, there are fittings on the 2 collars...but you would see that coming out each side if you put 30 pumps in one of those it would be all over the place...

8. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I just figured that they didn't put that fitting there for no reason. The machine is 5 years old, And by the way your talking about it, I guess it doesn't need it.

9. pugs

Do you have the model number of the machine? I would like to look it up and see what you are talking about...I dont think I have ever seen a 700 trans with a grease fitting on the case...

10. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I couldn't find any fitting on my bob's peerless.