Greasing Exmark TurfTracer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by khutch, Oct 1, 2012.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Got into a debate about type of grease for Exmark TurfTracer - Was told you could use even cheap lithium grease everywhere - Front casters sure but OK elsewhere? After thinking about it, kinda of made sense. Blade spindles on this model are NOT greasable.

Would you be asking for trouble using basic lithium? It's half the price, but the savings are not worth it if it is the wrong course of maintenance.

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

we've always used the Lucas Oil red and tacky for years on everything, never had any problems.... I think it's more important that you grease it frequently than what type of grease you're using.... of course I could be wrong.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I just use multi-purpose grease on mine.

4. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Case of that Lucas Red would make a great Christmas present.....

5. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Mobil1 grease here.

6. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

we have always used the red MYSTIC on all of our equipment

7. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

haha, ya.... you know you have issues when your family buys you jugs of hydraulic fluid or grease for Christmas.... and you're excited about it!

8. Jet Mech

Jet Mech LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Any grease is good when applied frequently. Due to the load requirements and not being a high speed application the cheap moly based grease will work.

Do remember to unload the spring tension (under deck access cover) to the idler pulley pivot point when greasing it. It tends to neglect the portion of the cavity that requires the grease the most, thus, resulting in pivot bushing wear.

As always; "Grease is cheaper than replacing parts!" Keep up the preventative maintenance and grease away.

9. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Good point there! I usually work the idler pullies back and forth after greasing them to work the grease in there.

Earlier in the season, I was having issues when turning left on my belt drive 36" WB. I tried adjusting the tension on the drive belts and that didn't help. Plus, I replaced the drive belts last season and the engine-transmission belt earlier this season. Then I remembered I hadn't greased the idler pulley on the engine-transmission belt in a while. I gave it a shot of grease and worked the pivot arm back and forth a few times.... BAM the belt slipping was fixed and it turns left like a champ now. Somehow that belt was slipping a little when turning left.