Greasing Ferris spindles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Armando Conti, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Armando Conti

Armando Conti LawnSite Member

I seem to remember reading about some brand where over-greasing the spindles could blow out a bottom seal, causing eventual spindle failure.

I have a new Ferris 48 Hydro DD Walk-behind. Before greasing I'd like to know if this applies to the Ferris: how much pressure do you apply with an automotive grease gun when you are greasing, and do you think it is possible to damage seals when greasing?

Thanks.

2. andyd1x

andyd1x LawnSite Member

You should not blow a seal by over greasing those spindles. They are built with a relief valve so the extra grease should push out that valve and not the seal. The one thing you want to watch those is that the relief valve is under the deck and over greasing will leave grease on the lawn. With my dual drive and three wheel rider I have I put about 5 pumps of grease in each spindle every morning and I'v had no failures yet. Knock on wood! My dual drive is 5 years old. Hope this will help.

3. FLYonWALL9

FLYonWALL9 LawnSite Member

I just greased my 44 and I have got to come up with an easier way. Standing on my head to grease this thing is going to be a real pain in the arse. I think I am going to build a little block and remote mount the fittings so they will be easy to get to. I come from the heavy equipment industry where when you grease you always push out some of the old grease then just stop. I wouldn't put so much so you can see the new grease overflow. I wash off my machines at the end of every day and just shoot enough to push out the water.

Andy, you grease every day at the start of the day? That thing will last a lifetime if so!

4. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Rodfather would be the one to ask he seems to have the most experience with the Ferris in the field in real working conditions. On my scags I just grease the spindels once a week with two pumps of hi temp grease.

5. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

The relief hole on mine is on top of the deck on the opisite side of the zerk. Just apply grease till it starts coming out of the relief hole. Keep in mind that there is almost a full tube of grease in those spindles when they are full.

6. Armando Conti

Armando Conti LawnSite Member

Thanks all. I just greased them up until grease came out of the hole (mine is on the opposite side, I had not noticed it when I posted the first question) and all is well. Used up a half tube of grease after only 8 hours use, I guess the dealer did not load it all the way up.

Thanks again.