Greasing Greasable Spindles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RobH, Mar 24, 2006.

1. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I was always taught that when you grease a spindle that you grease it until you see grease popping out either at the top or bottom of the spindle.

Is this correct? Will this do any damage to the seal since you are allowing grease to burst out of the spindle.

If you don't grease it until grease pops out, how would you know if you added enough grease to it?

I just wanted to get some others thoughts on the issue.

2. SMITH LAWN AND LANDSCAPE

SMITH LAWN AND LANDSCAPE LawnSite Member

That is the way it was taught to me also.never had any trouble with seals or spindles so far.I think you should be ok

3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Grease it til she oozes

4. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Read the instructions or talk to mechanic at dealer.Or go online and contact
    the manufacturer.Too much grease oozing out can attract a lot of dirt and blow
    seals! Be careful

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

NO. It you grease until it pops out then it is too late you have broke the seal.

You grease by the feel of pressure on the grease gun.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Also, you allow water to enter the bearings when you blow open the seal. If you do this repeatedly you also loose grease, meaning you have to grease more. A few squirts is all you need unless you are loosing grease through a seal.

7. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I have never run across a seal on a mower spindle that was really a sealed, tight closure, like on some automotive suspension components, etc. Basically, they all seem to ooze a little grease out somewhere. If there is a place grease can ooze out, that is also enough opening for dirt/grit/moisture to get IN.

IMHO, if you fill the spindle up with grease and it starts oozing out, what you are doing is displacing any dirt or moisture from inside the spindle, back out through the opening it came in. Do this regularly, and you will always be pushing the dirt back out before it has a chance to work its way to the bearings.

I have had some decent and some cheap equipment--the seals don't seem to be different on any of the equipment I've owned. The longest running piece of equipment I've had was a Grasshopper front mount that I sold with about 1600 hours on it. None of the spindles had ever been torn down. However, the bagger blower shaft bearings were not greaseable. I bet I replaced those bearings at least 4 times.

So for what it's worth, I say grease 'em til you see grease.

8. Hizoot

Hizoot LawnSite Member

And you will be wrong. I am not in the lawn care business. I am in the large tonnage HVAC business and deal with bearings all the time....even been to tech training by Fafnir, Chicago Bearing etc. The old addage, grease'm till they ooze was back in the '57 chevy days guys/ back before they had any type of seal between the races. If you bust open the seal with grease, you've destroyed the first defense against dirt. Plus, you now have to grease alot more often to keep pushing the dirt out.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

rob--I have greasable spindle bearings on my LESCO.

there is a weep hole for excess grease therefore it is impossible to over grease them.

I am not a heat and air repairman but I give them about 2 lever squirts of grease about every 8 hours of use and it seems to be working just fine.

to date I have never had a bearing failure over several thousand hours of use.

GEO :)

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have greasables on the JD decks, and I give them 5 pumps of raytac (wonderful stuff) every 25 hrs. I do NOT force a seal - Have 2600 hrs on one 60 inch deck, and the bearings are just fine. The zerk is at the top, and the grease works its way down the system to the bottom when running and the grease warms up.