1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

greasing mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by simsy71, Sep 10, 2003.

1. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

I feel stupid asking this. I have a new exmark metro 48. I looked in the owners manual on were I should grease it. They show different points. When I look on the mower to grease it are these holes, point were moving parts are????they mention zerks,,,, what is a zerk??? So to sum it up I am confused on were to put the grease. This is my first year on my own and I want to make sure I maintain my equipment. Thanks Mike
  2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

The grease point looks like a little nub or ball sticking out. Look under the deck of your machine and on each spindle you'll see one. The grease gun will fit right on that little ball. Fill with enough grease to see some squeeze out around the spindle or another point. If it just starts comming out around the grease gun-zerk connection you need to reangle the grease gun to get a better connection.
  3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Ever see a quick connect?

You know the ones on a garden hose..............the zerks are kinda like that. Or you can relate them to the air fitting where you fill a tire with air. The post above desribing them is accurate.

Push the grease gun fitting onto it, you will feel kinda a detent when it is on. As it wears out you wont feel all that much. Grease every where they indicate and where you find a grease fitting.

As far as blade spindles, 8 - 10 pumps is sufficient and should be done daily or every other day at the most. Don't over pack the blade spindles, grease comes out you have a worn seal, not good. All other fittings a little bit of grease can squeeze out with no problems.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Whoa! Don't forget to mention, that if you are doing these everyday, do NOT put 8-10 pumps in it!lol He'll have a half of tube of grease going out everywhere! Also, when you grease these, clean the zerks off with a rag before doing so, and this prevents dirt and grime from being injected into the bearings - will will kill them.
  5. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Also, where the old grease comes out as you pump in new grease, be sure to check the quality of the old grease.

Thin, very black grease probably means you should keep pumping it in until it looks a little bit cleaner. It doesn't have to be brand new grease coming out, but it should have at least some fresh grease coming out.

Also, if water is coming out with the grease, keep going until no more water comes out. Water in your spindles = bad

I have some grease that is red in color. This makes it very easy to tell the fresh from the old.
  6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

one quick point.don't feel stupid asking a question here. were all here to help each other out no matter the question or concern..
  7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

My Scag spindles have a release valve. You can't overpack them. My Sentar are greaseless...gotta love one less maintenance item. We'll see how durable they are.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The Exmarks have had greasless spindles now for quite some time. Now you guys will have this poor guy looking for something that isn't there.!
  9. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Especially on the exmarks having greaseless spindels.... I would have been out there racking my brains out trying to find the spot.
  10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

They may still be using a manual from when the spindles were greasable. I know my Sentar manual shows fittings, but this years model is greaseless.