greasing question!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, May 14, 2004.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

My exmark is coming up on 40 hours, time for first greasing, question is in the manual it says on a chart how many pumps of grease, what do they mean pumps the highest amount of pumps on the chart is 2, I have always been used to greasing a mower until grease comes out around a fitting, 2 pumps doesn't seen like enough. I use a hand grease gun, does this mean just 2 pumps, and thats it???????

Im CONFUSED?

Where do you guys get youre grease at?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

2 pumps, that is too low in my opinion. All of my zert points I at least do a minimum of 5 pumps.

3. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

First off I grease every week. I would not wait for 40 hours to grease.

Second, Pushing too much grease into the bearings may blow out the seals, allowing moisture back in. If it states 2 pumps then that is all I would give..Chuck

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Yes they are talking about a hand grease gun. Two pumps should be plenty. Don't over do it with a grease gun. A little goes a long way. Just make sure your are greasing ALL the zerks regularly and you'll be fine. The key is to not let the grease points get dry.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

What your greasing probably wont take more than 2 pumps on that mower. Its just hinges for the most part. Sealed wheels and spindels.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You can't go by what they say. The instructions they give are just a general guideline, but most of the time, many of the zerks will take more grease. Besides that, 2 pumps with what? A handheld squeeze gun that delivers just a little, or a two handed larger cylinder gun that delivers more. I do it until I see grease, and watch closely. Some will take more than others.

7. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

On my exmark there are 10 grease points.
    Out of the 10,
    6 are totaly worthless
    2 are iffy
    2 are neccessary.

Front wheel bearings need the grease.
    Front wheel castors dont really need grease- please tell me why you think otherwise. For that 1 inch steele castor yoke to fail will take 100 years of use in sandy conditions.

The rest of the stuff barely moves an inch a day, making it it worthless to waiste grease on it. Besides anytime I put grease in it after few months of usage- 1 pump and grease comes out.

My exmark has sealed spindles, otherwise the spindles are the most important thing to grease.

This is my opinion.

8. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I grease my spindles every time I go to mow but they won't take in any grease, is this a problem? when i grease them, the clean grease just poors out the side of the fitting.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Some mowers are equiped with sealed bearings, such as Hustlers. The grease zerk at the spindle is just to keep moisture out. And some have a special zerk that has a little hole in it to prevent you from putting too much grease in and blowing the seals out.
    I would grease it like the manual tells you. Nothing more and nothing less.

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

good grief.

I service my mower every day that I use it with a pump or two of grease and anything else it needs.

it aint rocket science.

GEO