Greasing spindles and cleaning

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snowjeep, May 12, 2007.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I have been sharpening my blades every 10 hrs and that is when I grease my spindles. Is that enough? Also I power wash the under side of my ztr like every day but heard of forcing water into the spindles. Is it ok to power wash the bottom as long as you don't do the top?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see no problem with washing to me i scrap the deck not as messy,keeping blades sharp and greasing is the life.

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i sharpen my blades 2 times a week and im running 8 hour days 5 days a week, so i think youre doing that plenty enough,

be careful overgreasing, hopefully you have an overflow hole, too much is bad
    also, take a look on the exmark website faq. page, the two biggest failures is overgreasing and cheap says people often times skimp on the grease quality, here is one instance where you want the more expensive, super high heat and rpm grease..thats why they dont make their spindles greasable, which i thought was dumb so i drilled and put grease nipples in when i did a spindle bearing change

good luck happy mowin
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

You're damn right. Dumbest thing they ever did. I searched my mower top and bottom when I got it, I'm like "Where the F are the zerks?" Then I look in the manual and it doesn't indicate they need grease...

As far as pressure washing, I dunno. I do so to the underside of my mower decks. The topside usually just gets blown off with a blowgun. If the spindles are greasable, if you pressure wash them first and THEN grease them, the grease should push out any water that you may have gotten in there. But I'd think that water would evaporate anyhow due to the heat developed by the spindle bearings.
  5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I converted mine to greasable spindles.. When I re-built them, I took out the inside seal on the bearing.. Then I drilled a very small hole at the top of the spindle housing(just under the mount flange) Then drilled and inserted a Zerk in the middle of the housing.. Now its been 2 yrs running since I rebuilt them this time.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have over 2000 hours on my exmark, o4 lazer, and not one problem wit any of the sealed bearings. All of the spindles, front casters and forks are fine. I think its a great idea.