Greasing spindles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hadly, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Hadly

Hadly LawnSite Member
    from IL

Should you be able to see grease coming out under the deck on the spindles? On all the other fittings I do except the spindles.
  2. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, once it starts coming out of the bottom, then stop. Sometimes I can't see the bottoms, so I usually wait till I hear a "pop" and thats when I stop.
  3. TomB

TomB LawnSite Member

You really don't want to see the grease coming out. At that point you have blown the seals out. I'm guessing the "pop" you hear is the same thing.
  4. Hadly

Hadly LawnSite Member
    from IL

So how do you know how much grease to put in?
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

From the pressure on the pump handle of the grease gun. As the spindle fills the pressure will increase on the handle. Usally no more than 5-6 full pumps is all you need if you grease regularly.

The post about busting the seal is exactly correct. If you are pumping until you hear a "pop" and see grease come out you have screwed up and blown a grease seal, cause the grease isn't suppose to come out unless you have a grease overflow/release valve.....but "popping"...never.
  6. Hadly

Hadly LawnSite Member
    from IL

So can you replace the seals? Or do you have to replace the whole spindle?
  7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

This is why I LOVE the sealed spindles on my Bob-Cat and Toro Proline mowers- you never have to grease the spindles!
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Why would any one want to grease spindles? :waving:
  9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a maintenance nut :p
  10. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

When spindles get hot grease breaks down. Not hard to grease three more zerks couple times a year. Spindles will also last alot longer with fresh grease.