greasing the spindles

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Branchland, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2004 super Z 60
    When I grease the spindles the grease just comes out around the grease fitting. Do they not get greased? If not then why the fittings? If so then why is this the only place I have a problem?

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

The grease is probably coming from a weep hole to keep you from overgreasing. It doesn't take alot of grease pre spindle from what I understand. I also have a Super Z.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If you are getting grease back out next to the fitting (there is a relief cut in the grease fitting threads, to prevent over greasing) the housing is full.
    You only need to grease Hustler spindles once a year or every 500 hours.
    The spindle has sealed bearings, so you are not greasing the bearings, when you grease the spindle you are lubricating the shaft and housing and preventing moisture build up in the housing.
    Here is a little write up we did on our spindles.

Hustler Blade Spindles - 35 years in the testing!
    There is a lot of hype out in the marketplace about blade spindles and what type of bearings are the best, etc.
    We just want to let you know that Hustler blade spindles, both on our homeowner units and our commercial models are second to none.
    Hustler Turf Equipment manufactures the most durable turf equipment on the market. Both residential and commercial! The Hustler Blade Spindle is just another reason why. The residential blade spindle is a commercial-quality spindle that many of our competitors use in their commercial machines. Our commercial spindle is a Hustler Turf exclusive proven by over 35 years of continuous service. This spindle sets the standard for the industry in durability, reliability, and ease of service.

• The spindle housing is cast ductile iron, stronger than either gray iron or aluminum, which are widely used in the industry for commercial
    spindles.
    • Ball bearings produce less friction than tapered roller bearings resulting in less horsepower wasted as heat, and more power available for cutting grass.
    • The sealed ball bearings used in commercial Hustler Turf Equipment contain some of the best grease available for high-speed bearing applications. This grease is designed to last the life of the bearing.
    • When bearings need to be replaced they are less expensive, easier to change, and require no special tools or experience.

untitled.JPG