Greasing Tire Beads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ed2hess, Mar 10, 2012.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I was told up at the expo that this is something to be done yearly. Found out quick not easy to get tire broken loose from the bead. But good old engr. skills paid off. This tire was sitting on a WB all winter and was flat and
    was leaking at bead.

Those tires on this big Scag have been leaking a little all year so I will try
    to get them lubed next.

020.jpg

021.jpg

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

good luck!!!

I had a couple tires for my zero turn that were not wanting to seat on the beads, so the guy at the tire shop used some of that "goop" to help seal the bead to get it to pop. Worked, but here's the kicker... I took 'em home, put them on the machine, fired it up and went to GO and I wasn't going anywhere! The tires were at pressure and the rims were just spinning in the tires! It was a freaking mess! Rendered them useless obviously. Tried some sort of tire solvent to clean the goop out enough to get the rim and the tire to hold onto one another. Finally had to break them back down and clean as much of that crap off as possible.

I used to mess with changing my own tires, but for a few bucks, literally, my tire shop will do them. 30 minutes of sweating and swearing is well worth a few bucks to me!

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well I didn't think about that happening. Maybe I'll back to McCoys and see if they had any complaints.

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm...I've never even heard of that...learn something new every day I guess

5. Quix

Quix LawnSite Member

I believe a bead of silicone would do the trick.

6. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Usually use green dish detergent and water 50:50. Works on up to a 26x12-12.
    I stay off the 10 ply truck tires those go to the tire shop. The smaller tires, the caster on the Z's are harder to do than the 26's:dizzy:

I've been known to break a bead seal with the down pressure from a skid steer bucket

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking about the possibility of that tire slipping on the rim and I don't think that will happen. I am using about over 100# just to push it
    part way off the rim. When I took the force off it back it came up to the bead. The idea is for this to last long term in helping keep it sealed not for putting it on the rim. I know that stupid green stuff cost me a bunch and I have to constantly put it in.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use straight Dawn on mine. I just did the two fronts on my Dixie. They're a bigger tire than any others use (15X600x6) so I guess they're easier to work on.

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

guess since I've never had a leaky tire I don't mess with it. even I were to decide it was necessary to do this yearly I'd have someone else with the proper tools do it.

I'm only interested in the maintenance I can do myself. oil, oil filter, belts, greasings zerks, air filter, hydro filter, hydro oil, etc......

10. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Greasing a bead is probably unnecessary. I have seen bead's that wouldn't seat because of this. The only tire's that i saw stuck to a rim were rear tractor tire's that were rusted on because they were water filled and had been on for 20 year's. Now i just let a tire place take care of thing's like that. But if you want to do your own, then this tool http://www.wikco.com/tire.html (the 100.103) can be very handy. But it has to be bolted to the floor.