Greasing wheel bearings

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Indy Kyle, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

We just purchased a new enclosed trailer. It says to grease the wheels every so many miles. Is there a grease fitting or something behind the tires or how do I do this?

2. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee LawnSite Senior Member

hi there, Indy Kyle i think i may know. :waving:

take the trailer tire off, than with a screw driver remove the dust cap covering the end of the axle making shure not to bend the cap so u can reuse it. than theres a grease seal that needs to be removed gently as well to also be reused. than the bearings should just slide out, once out wipe old grease out of the inside of the axle. than take the bearings and soak them in gasoline for 15-20 min. after wiping them down with a towell, take the bearings out of the fuel once majority of grease is dissolved and blow them out with an air fitting from an air compressor. once most of debris is clear and they're dry from blowing them, repack them with heavy duty grease and be very generous, than rub grease inside of axle where bearing rides, place bearing back in place, replace grease seal, than put the dust cap back into place.. and wala :clapping: regreased wheels. and repeat for other side of axle and other axles you may have.

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Greasing wheel bearings here.:drinkup:

4f28_3.jpg

4. DISTURBEDSMR

DISTURBEDSMR LawnSite Member

Buy bearing buddies from TSC

5. Indy Kyle

Thank you Jerry Lee. What are bearing buddies?

6. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

instead of having a dust cap. you have a bearing buddy. there is one shown in the picture. most 3500lbs axles are 1.98 axle ends. that is what size you would prolly need. 2000lbs are like 1.78. 5000lbs are 2. sumthing i forget. you just install them with the directions and it has a grease fitting when you take the cover off. just take your grease gun and pump it full. bam your done.

you can buy them at tsc for about 24 bucks a set.

ebay you can get them for like 10 and stainless steel for around 16

hope this helps...

lance

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I believe in bearing buddies but every other or 3rd year the bearings should be taken out, cleaned and repacked in fresh grease or replaced if they are bad

wayne

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I wish they made bearing buddies for cars :rolleyes:

I'd have to guess the reason they don't is because of the brake pads.
    But those things rule, Northern sells them as well, bit pricey but well worth it.

9. Indy Kyle

Thanks for the info. The axels are 5200lb each.

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the make of trailer, there might be a center grease fitting in the axle. It would be under a rubber cover on the dust cap. Pop the rubber cover, grease till it forces grease out the front, wipe, replace rubber cap, done. Alot of new axles are made that way.