Greasing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nick, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Nick

Nick Banned

How long do you go without regreasing your mowers? Is greasing less then 25hrs. of use overkill?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

No its not. I do mine once a week, and thats not enough by far. Depends on use mostly, but some do it every day.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would think it depends on the machine you are using. The Dixie Chopper manual says to grease every 50 hours, so I grease it every 25 and I have had good luck doing this. My JD, I had to grease every day and some places twice a day and things still wore out on it. Grease is cheap compared to parts, use your best judgement on greasing.

4. Joe W.

Joe W. LawnSite Member

What type of greese is everyone using?

5. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

I use reg. grease that I buy at the hardware store I grease every time I sharpen my blades

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on what your manufacturer reccomends. As long as your not pumping in so much that you blow the seals, greasing "too soon" won't hurt anything.

Congratulations for even realizing you have to do it! Thats one of the biggest things people neglect with machinery, and its one of the easiest. Preventive maintenance will make or break your luck with equipment.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

takes me back to about 1980 . i ran a used snapper
    all season then pt of another befor the lack of grease stopped it.
    lets just say the repairman let me know he didnt think i was particularly smart.lesson learned

8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Myself and my crews grease the front caster wheels and sulky connections every morning (these are really what get the most random directional use). At the beginning of every month, we grease all the other points, including blade spindles, drive wheel points, and all the misc points. This has kept our equipment running way beyond what is expected.

I guess I should check the site more often, but the new look is interesting.

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We grease equipment every morning with synthetic grease. Lots of sand here and we cut rain or shine. New grease pushes out the sand and water.

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I grease my all my grease points every day on my Groundsmaster. I have to grease the steering joint, rear wheel bearings, front casters, and the steering wheel (yes, there is a zerk there!). I'm using Moly something, can't remember what it's called, my grandpa put it in there. I figure you can't grease enough. Better safe then sorry!