Great... A license to use a blower......

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by canopy2k, Jul 11, 2007.

1. canopy2k

canopy2k LawnSite Member

AZ just passed a new law.. Effective Dec 31, 2008, ANY person who operates a leaf blower for "remuneration" (money) must take training on proper use of said blower. Just another layer.. Who the heck would have ever thought I would need a specific license for my blower?

Here's the wonderful piece of legislation...

49-457.01. Leaf blower use restrictions and training; leaf blower equipment sellers; informational material; outreach; applicability

A. This section applies in a county with a population of two million or more persons or any portion of a county within an area designated by the environmental protection agency as a serious pm-10 nonattainment area or a maintenance area that was designated as a serious pm-10 nonattainment area.

B. After March 31, 2008, no person may use a leaf blower to blow landscape debris into public roadways.

C. After March 31, 2008, no person may operate a leaf blower except on surfaces that have been stabilized with asphaltic concrete, cement concrete, hardscape, penetration treatment of bituminous material and seal coat of bituminous binder and a mineral aggregate, decomposed granite cover, crushed granite cover, aggregate cover, gravel cover, or grass or other continuous vegetative cover, or any combination of those stabilizers.

D. At least once every three years, any person operating a leaf blower for remuneration shall successfully complete training approved by the department on how to operate a leaf blower in a manner designed to minimize the generation of fugitive dust emissions. Any person who is required to be trained under this subsection shall complete initial training no later than December 31, 2008.

E. Any person who rents or sells in the normal course of business equipment that is used for blowing landscape debris shall provide to the buyer or renter of the equipment printed materials that are approved by the department pursuant to this section.

F. The department shall produce printed materials and distribute those materials to persons who sell or rent equipment used for blowing landscape debris. The printed materials shall be designed to educate and inform the user of the equipment on the safe and efficient use of the equipment, including methods for reducing the generation of dust, and shall include information regarding dust control ordinances and restrictions that may be applicable.

G. This section does not apply to any site that has a permit issued by a control officer as defined in section 49-471 for the control of fugitive dust from dust generating operations.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like something CA or NY would initiate...who does the training I would like to know
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I like the idea of limiting its use on places to help reduce dust....Ie they don't want you using a blower on a dirt road. but thats pretty nutty....:hammerhead:

Just what the police need to be "blower police"
  4. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

Oh great, they can't even enforce laws that try to govern dog poop around here. First step in trying to license the entire business.
  5. canopy2k

canopy2k LawnSite Member

Yeah, that kind of seems to be the idea. However, there are about 10 dirt roads in all of Phoenix. And Ive NEVER seen anyone using a blower on them. I mean, really. This doesnt apply to John Homeowner, and no one who is even half-assed professional is going to waste their time blowing off a dirt road.

I dont know if you noticed, but the law has no description of punishment. Is there a fine for breaking the law? Do you go to jail?

There is also another law just passed that I didnt post, but contractors who work for the city and city employees are PROHIBITED from using blowers at all on high pollution days. About 75-100 days a year. Their work is going to look like crap...

6. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking that being the Cop to enforce that would suck. Some laws make no sense. This being one of them.
  7. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

You are kidding...right? :dizzy:
  8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

This is why we need a 50 state wide association for landscapers to fight BS like this. But you people want to stay ignorant, well you see were that gets you. Like I said the government is going to involve its self regardless of whether or not we have an association.

9. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
  10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

that is pretty stupid if you ask me...blower training wtf