1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Great advertising tips

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by soup3430, Feb 8, 2007.

1. soup3430

soup3430 LawnSite Member

With so many posts on this website im sure this is a repost but for anyone who hasnt come across it, I found a great webpage that offers some common advertising mistakes when it comes to flyers. As I was reading thru it, I saw that i broke just about every rule they listed. Great info I.M.O.P.

2. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

awesome post
  3. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I would take a few minutes to read this post. The marketing tips made perfect sense and I will incorporate those tips into my flier this season
  4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's a good link to post, also.

But I need to add, that some of their "absolute" statements have not proven true.

For example, I almost always start my flyer with my name. And for good reason - name recognition. Due to my other advertising.

I probably break 1/3 of their rules, but with awesome success. I got almost 9 new customers in January, from one small section of our community, with flyers that didn't fit those rules.

My flyers are viewable by download from my home page.

I think that the suggestions and various ideas are excellent points to consider at that site. For a few businesses, it may be important to adhere to most of their guidelines.

But rules can be broken by knowing how to break the rules.

It may be useful to test two versions of flyers - one that breaks the rules, with a nice design, and another that follows their rules, with a nice design. Try that test and see what the outcome is.
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Very good points.
  6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tested color against B&W.

Not for my needs, since I tested. In my case, I got slightly better results using B&W, which is great, because they are much less. But I'm curious, since I meet so many lawn service people locally. A few don't have internet, so it would be handy to know a few extra ideas to pass along to them.

Has anybody tried white flyers and colored flyers? If so, did you notice a difference, and what may have worked best?

I suppose some people may be using gloss paper with full color too; which I've never used yet.
  7. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i'd say the site has good info, but they arent steadfast rules...except the one telling you to TEST...
  8. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

great post, these tips are good for everyone

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yes pretty solid advice...you wouldn't necessarily have to follow ALL the rules...and like Vaden said, if you actually have brand recognition (which probably most of us don't) than it would be more beneficial to use your name as the header.

I know my first flyer...I put a lot of thought into making it look good...very little thought into if it would 'sell' for me. It's easy to include too much info on a flyer...
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Also, I used to get a ton of flyers printed to get a better deal...but I've found it's much better to target specific services at certain times of the year. So although it costs more, I like to print in smaller batches.

For instance in March...everyone wants mulch...they're not really thinking about mowing quite yet. So a flyer announcing mulch/spring cleanups is more effective. You can always sell them on the mowing once they call. In November...leaves of course. I was running this tiny one-line classified ad in an HOA newsletter, had my company name and list of services. I'd get maybe a call here or there. Finally I wisened up and in the fall I ran it, it just said "LEAF REMOVAL- Call today, spaces are limited. 555-5555" I ended up getting almost 15 calls in 2 weeks...did I think 7 jobs, and signed 4 of them up for mowing this year as well.