1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Great article for Pricing. See where you are?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J Hisch, Jan 21, 2006.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Check out this article at www.walkermowers.com (Walker Talk) Vol. 21 entitled "The Price Is Right" post responses here.
  2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, thanks for the link. Lots of good stuff in there. . .
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

My take is that some people want to be "respected" so the numbers are artificially inflated. Do you really beleive some people are making $150.00, and if you do, is this time on a property or time started to time finished with all drive and stop time included?

$150 hour for a solo in a northern area (best money area in theory)

$150x50 hours a week=$7500x30weeks=$225,000

Snowplowing say 5 hours per week for 8 weeks, 40 hours total for the season (im in florida so this is a guess). 40 hours x$450 (snow pays about 3 times as much as lawns so we hear)= $18,000
    Total gross pay for solo $243,000

Yes sure I beleive it, who wouldnt?
  4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I thought the highest hourly rate was $100.
  5. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

These numbers are four years old, and the average is closer to 42.00 dollars
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

No for commercial and Municipal (who take the lowest bid for the most part) it was $150 max. Point is, do you ever see a thread about "how did I do pricing" or something to that effect? Does anyone ever, ever say, oh no thats way too high? No, everyone wants to talk big on the internet, but when you put the numbers together it doesnt add up.

You will have a guy saying we make this, we make that. December comes and hes asking for ideas for a winter job??????????? ok.
  7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Right on Lawnman Scot.....I agree with you that it is likely that many people who boast here and say they are getting higher fees, are to be taken with a grain of salt.
  8. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnman Scott, Excellent point. The main reason I don't post much is I do everything wrong according to alot of stuff I read. My rate is lower than what gets posted here but I am competitive in my area. I don't have a "winter job" and this is our only income. I feel looking at the big picture we're doing okay. This response is not stereotyping LS because I do respect alot of members. I live in the NE and those numbers are not in my area. Have a great day!! Matt
  9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I had to read that article twice....the first time I thought I was misreading it given the low gross revenue of 40-something per hour for commercial(adjusted for inflation up thru 2005). Thats a rather pathetic average hourly rate given what other blue collar trades are billing at. I was frankly shocked when I read it. Anyone else surprised at how low the rates were in this article? Maybe I am not understanding the numbers here.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. If that is what I billed, I would be out of business very quickly.