Great Article in Grounds Mag.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Aug 5, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I don't know how many of you could devour the "Better Bidder" article, but once you jumped in, it was a great article. I highly recommend everybody to take a look at it. Read it slowly, maybe 2 to 3 times to understand the worksheets and figures.

Once again, great article. I am actually going to be putting together a worksheet like that tomorrow.

2. tiedeman

from earth

you guys are telling me that nobody read it...I know that it was hard to choke down, but come on

3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I don't receive the magazine, so I didn't read it.

4. tiedeman

from earth

5. Joe Green Grounds Maint.

Joe Green Grounds Maint. LawnSite Member

I read it about two days ago and couldn't help but set up the forms right away. It will help the office manager get some proposals ready while our crew leads and I keep measuring!

6. tiedeman

from earth

yup. can't wait to set it up tomorrow

7. tiedeman

from earth

ok, so I am setting up these worksheets from the magazine, but the figures just don't add up.

For example, they are figuring the average of employee wage per hour at $15.02 (CAW loaded) with a 2 crew size taking 32 hours, plus the supervisor wage at $25.00 per hour for 2 hours. So a total of $530.64, ($480.64 for employees and $50 for supervisor) in which they round up to $531 for the labor of the work

But a couple of things don't make sense for example, if it is a 2 person crew shouldn't the wage (CAW loaded) be doubled then, at $30.04 which would put the labor at $961.28 for 32 hours and adding the supervisors wage of $50 ($25 per hour for 2 hours) to put the labor cost at a total of $1011.28??

But another thing that troubles me is the fact if you take my hourly rate for example that I charge customers per person ($40) double that for two employees ($80) and times that by the estimated working hours 32 gives you a total of $2560 pluse don't forget the supervisor at $40 per hour times 2 hours, which is $80. Total that I would charge for the work would be then $2640.

Big difference between $1011.28 and $531.00. Even if you mark it up, in which they have done by 30%, their total price for project (materials, labor, etc) would be $3272. While if I took my hourly wage my total price for the project would be close to $4800.

I know that it might take a while to absorb the information, and to maybe read the article, but it doesn't make sense. Yes, it would make sense to figure out your cost per project, but not the actual bid

8. tiedeman

from earth

by the way, where I put Greae Article as the title of this thread, it should be, "what the heck are they talking about article."