Great article in magazine

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Mar 19, 2005.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Mods please don't delete this because I mention a specific trade magazine here.

In the latest Lawn & Landscape magazine there are 2 good articles on irrigation - finally. I got tired of the articles on what type of heads to use, why use a valve box, how to design a system for the millionth time. But these 2 articles actually interested me. One was on whether you should do installs, service and repairs, or both. All we do is service and repairs so it was good to here other reasons for and against it. One good point was that overhead for service is much lower than installs. No trenchers, pipe pullers, boring machines, bigger trucks, trailers, labor (many install companies have lots of entry level laborers, big shop, etc.

The other was on how to charge accordingly for service and repairs. Although I never went through the technical aspect finding what I should charge, I am charging just about what the author describes in his scenarios. A few of you on this site pushed me toward the service call fee a few years ago and it has paid off. Thanks.

I recommend these two articles for all you irrigation guys/gals (any irrigation women on this site? That could be another topic as well).

2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

dana,

would love to read the mag...but i do not think l & l like me anymore. i never recieved my $250 lesco gift certificate from their online raffle. i also haven't recieved a magazine from them in sooooooooooooooooooo long.

oh well.

overhead is lower on irrigation service. net profit margin is way higher, too.

but you have to get the clients to offer the service. that is where the installs come in.

for irrigation installs:
    show up on time, install a great system, underpromise and over deliver and give them a flawless installation experience.

for irrigation service:
    offer excellent service, always return phone calls, call if late to appointment, fix it right the first time and you will have more $$$ than you ever dreamed of.

this is the story of my short life.

brian

3. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tip DanaMac-------

I signed up for the free subscription, and looked around at past articles. It's nice picking up tips here and there, I've gotten a lot info, though, right here at Lawnsite!!

See ya--------

4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

we have picked up a few marketing and business tips here at lawn site and lawnandlandscape.com, but not much in the way of 'how to do this better' in the field....we should start a monthly 'tips' section. learn tricks from the veterans in the irrigation field.

that i would pay for.

brian