Great Dane 36-52" adjustable mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ocutter, May 21, 2001.

1. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking through a magazine and found that Dane makes a 52" mower that has a flap housing one blade to fold up to 36" to fit thru gates. This will save me considerable down time. Has anyone used one of these. Does the cutting stand up to par. Thanks

2. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

I don't know if this will help, but I spoke to our local dealer @ the Spring H/G Show and he said it'll take the abuse... He told me a user was on a customer's yard, ran over a water meter cover (the thick steel ones) and the cover was thrown out the discharge chute. The dealer told me all they replaced was a spindle! If anything. it's built well... as far as reliability and ease of use (with the gateway mechanism) I don't know how well it would work under the daily rigors. Again, I hope this gives a little information.

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have almost 100 hours on mine. The decks ability to fold up is great. It will go through a 36 1/2 inch gate. Drop the deck down and you are cutting an extra 16 inches! I have a set of rocket wheels on the mower. It makes for a very productive mower on small to medium properties.
    It is extremely offset to the left, 18 inches I think. This feature is great for cutting under shrubs, trees, split rail fences, etc.
    Only problem is if you are mower with the left wheel on the lower side of a steep slope the left side of the deck will cut higher. After a little time with the mower you will learn to compensate for it.
    Yes it was expensive, but I replaced two walk behinds with one mower.
    If I were starting out this would be my first purchase.

4. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Accuratelawn- How much did you pay for yours? It sounds like the same situation I'm in. I got a 52 and a 36 that I constantly need to run back to the garage to get for gated lots. I could get a bigger trailer but my rented garage has a restiction on bigger ones. Now the fold up option are they separate cutting chambers, or do all 3 blades form one flowing deck like a 52? The pic I see doesnt show that too well. Thanks again for all the info.

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ocutter - $5400 plus $200 for the used rocket wheels. There are three cutting chambers (baffles).It is just like a regular 52 inch deck, just splits. Same blades, but diferent pulley and belt system. If you need to save room on the trailer you can fold up the side and park it sideways.