Great Dane 48 Hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metro36, Aug 7, 2006.

1. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Hi
    Any of you guys run these mowers. I found one at a dealer and he wants 4 grand for it. It is 4 years old and has never been used. He said that his boss was trying to get rid of it. I said that I was not not willing to pay over 1 grand. He will get back to me tommorrow. Any body have any ideas on what it is worth. I also wondering how they run and are they dependable. I was wondering if it is a good first mower.
    Thanks

2. metro36

Does anybody run one. I forgot to mention that it had a 17 horse kawi and electric start. If anyone has any feedback it would be great.
    Thanks

3. metro36

4. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

That might be the worst mower ever built.

Great Danew did not make the mower it was subbed out to Brinly Hardy and the thing was a POS.

The integrated hydros are a disaster to work on and the belts break quite often. My dealer called them boomarangs..

They are yellow for a reason....caution..stay away!

5. metro36

If I could get it for around $700 would the price be a reason to buy it? It is brand new and looks like it is a pretty well built machine. Any ideas on a good mower to start out with if this doesn't go through?

6. metro36

Would a 36in metro be better? My dealer has one for $1700 and am going to try to get it for $600. It is only 3 years old and used only by a homeowner to mow an acre for 1 season. The price includes a grass gobbler.

7. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

many people here bash GD's. I have owned a 48in 17hp surfer for 4 yrs and its had been a great mower. No major repairs. (1 spindle, belts) another friend of mine has had one for his crew for probably 6-7 yrs and he still uses it daily today. It produces a nice cut, few breakdowns, fast, and easy to operate. Made cutting lawns alot better then with the older walk behind. Only complaint is when grass is wet and clumps fall on the lawn from building up under the deck.

So the mower has 0 hrs. if it is in new condition i'd pay 2-3k

8. metro36

The mower has a few hours from people testing it out on the dealers lawn. It is four years old and has sat outside most of the time. It has some spots of rust one control bars and things. do you still think it is worth 2-3 grand because four years ago the dealer wanted 4 grand for it new?

9. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

i bought mine 2 yrs old. with maybe 400hrs. for $2250.

10. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Have 2 GD's for 2.5 years now love them only 1 minor repair no belt replacements yet this is the series 2 though. A fellow contractor has had 1 for maybe 5 years loves it as well he was the one who got me hooked on them. he mows about 3 days a week